• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get the PDF printout to include pop-up topics?

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RH9. I have a number of topics that link to pop-ups that include lists, screenshots, and other materials. When I generate a PDF printout, none of the pop-ups are included. Is there a print setting setting I'm missing?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2012 Jul 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Have you clicked the Advanced Button within this dialog and ticked the Drop Down and Expanding text options?

24-07-2012 10-00-40.jpg

Regard,

Dom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 24, 2012 Jul 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is that when you are creating your Printed Documentation you are using the TOC to select what to include. If your popups are not in the TOC but merely referenced by topics in it, they are not included. You can get around this by selecting a folder rather than the TOC in the second step of the wizard (i.e. where you select your topics). If you have a large number of popups, you may want to consider having a separate folder for them. This makes it easier to find and include them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Colum!

This is exactly what I was looking for!

I have two follow-up questions though.

1. I was not having luck running a pdf in RH10. It kept telling me to install a new version of MS word greater than version 2000. I have the latest, 2016, installed on my machine. I assumed it wasn't working because my RH was so old. So, I downloaded the free trial of RH2017 just to print out the help file. (For some reason, the Marketing folks want a pdf of the help file on the website.)

When I first ran the pdf, some of my pop-up topics were included. It was lovely! I have since re-ran the pdf and the pop-ups disappeared. I'm not sure why this happened. I believe I only had the TOC topics included (the right column during the selection step). Any idea how that disappeared?

2. You mentioned above  that the "popup" topics would not appear in the pdf unless added to the selected topics list, so I'm trying to use this solution. My next question: is there an easier way to get them in TOC order? I have all my popups in a separate folder for ease of use. How do I select the topics from the "All Folders" view and put them in a sensible order like the TOC? Please tell me I do not have to add them in by manually checking what goes where and in what order.

I appreciate any assistance you can offer and, as always, thank you for all your help!!

-Wendy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum hasn't followed these forums for some years now. The thread you have responded to is over five years old.

Your version of RoboHelp is not compatible with Word 2016. See Compatible versions of OS and MS Word with RoboHelp so that explains the dialog you were getting. Unless you made changes to the print dialog, I can't explain why there would be a difference. Did you make any changes?

What RoboHelp includes is whatever you have set up in the second page of the Print Dialog on the right hand side. You said Please tell me I do not have to add them in by manually checking what goes where and in what order. I'll tell you that but I would by lying.

In Printed Output Using Adobe RoboHelp 11 and above I explain how the content of the dialog is set up. Essentially whatever TOC you have chosen in Page 1 will be shown here the first time you print. However, there is no further link and if you later change that TOC, those changes will be reflected in the right hand side. They will be on the left and the quick way to refresh is to use the chevron buttons to clear everything from the right and then use the right pointing double chevron to update.

Above the left side of Page 2, you can choose folders so if you browse to the one with you popups, you can then add them but, sorry to say, it is a one by one job getting them into the right place.

Personally I hate editing stuff on the right hand side of Page 2. Instead I create a copy of the TOC I want my printed document to be based on and then get that setup the way I want it. Choose that TOC in Page 1 and just remember that if you make changes it's two clicks of the double chevrons, one to clear out what is on the right and one to apply what is on the left.

Whilst it's not quite what you wanted, I hope that helps.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for replying, Peter!

I was hoping I wasn't going to have to spend hours setting up the "topics included" list but it looks like I have no choice.

I will follow your advice and make a print-only TOC for my projects.

I appreciate the assistance!

Wendy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp