4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2006 5:40 AM by Newsgroup_User

server behaviours or extensions

cspgsl
      I have read elsewhere that some developers do not like the some of the code server behaviours or extensions DW inserts into a page.
      I am not surprised that there are varying opinions or methods of coding but it would seem to me that one would want to take advantage of built in resources in DW. Being new to this could someone pass on another opinion / slant on the comment?
      Thanks
        • 1. Re: server behaviours or extensions
          Level 7
          >>I have read elsewhere that some developers do not like the some of the
          >>code
          server behaviours or extensions DW inserts into a page.

Server Behaviours:

They are okay for extremely basic apps, otheriwse they are very limited and
          produce poor and hard to maintain code. If you want to build web apps, you
          need to learn to do it properly - then you make your mind up as to when you
          should adn shouldn't be using server behaviours.

"cspgsl" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:ed1460$1se$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I have read elsewhere that some developers do not like the some of the code
          > server behaviours or extensions DW inserts into a page.
          > I am not surprised that there are varying opinions or methods of coding
          > but it
          > would seem to me that one would want to take advantage of built in
          > resources in
          > DW. Being new to this could someone pass on another opinion / slant on the
          > comment?
          > Thanks
          >
          >

• 2. Re: server behaviours or extensions
            cspgsl Level 1
            Thanks. I have started on the learning curve.
            • 3. Re: server behaviours or extensions
              Level 7
              cspgsl wrote:
              > I have read elsewhere that some developers do not like the some of the code
              > server behaviours or extensions DW inserts into a page.

I can only speak about PHP server behaviors.

I can develop a content management system in far fewer lines of code
              than Dreamweaver. However, it takes a long time to do it, and a
              considerable amount of skill. I can create a simple content management
              system with Dreamweaver server behaviors in minutes, and it requires
              little or no knowledge of PHP.

For rapid prototyping of a site, or for building a dynamic site that
              doesn't require sophisticated data manipulation, the Dreamweaver server
              behaviors are excellent. However, a lot of people mistakenly believe
              that you can use server behaviors without any knowledge of the
              underlying server-side language. You need at least a basic understanding
              of PHP, ASP, or whatever; otherwise, troubleshooting or tweaking the
              code to your own requirements is impossible. As your knowledge of the
              underlying language increases, so may your frustration with the verbose
              code created by Dreamweaver.

Why is Dreamweaver code so verbose? Because it tries to cover a wide
              range of eventualities. When coding by hand, everything is tailor-made.

--
              David Powers
              Adobe Community Expert
              Author, "Foundation PHP for Dreamweaver 8" (friends of ED)
              http://foundationphp.com/
              • 4. Re: server behaviours or extensions
                Level 7
                > For rapid prototyping of a site, or for building a dynamic site that
                > doesn't require sophisticated data manipulation, the Dreamweaver server
                > behaviors are excellent.

That about sums it up perfectly.

You need at least a basic understanding
                > of PHP, ASP, or whatever; otherwise, troubleshooting or tweaking the code
                > to your own requirements is impossible.

Yes, I don't like it when I see people promote the server extensions as a
                way of somehow 'cheating' the learning curve.

"David Powers" <david@example.com> wrote in message
                news:ed193o$7ar$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > cspgsl wrote:
                >> I have read elsewhere that some developers do not like the some of the
                >> code server behaviours or extensions DW inserts into a page.
                >
                > I can only speak about PHP server behaviors.
                >
                > I can develop a content management system in far fewer lines of code than
                > Dreamweaver. However, it takes a long time to do it, and a considerable
                > amount of skill. I can create a simple content management system with
                > Dreamweaver server behaviors in minutes, and it requires little or no
                > knowledge of PHP.
                >
                > For rapid prototyping of a site, or for building a dynamic site that
                > doesn't require sophisticated data manipulation, the Dreamweaver server
                > behaviors are excellent. However, a lot of people mistakenly believe that
                > you can use server behaviors without any knowledge of the underlying
                > server-side language. You need at least a basic understanding of PHP, ASP,
                > or whatever; otherwise, troubleshooting or tweaking the code to your own
                > requirements is impossible. As your knowledge of the underlying language
                > increases, so may your frustration with the verbose code created by
                > Dreamweaver.
                >
                > Why is Dreamweaver code so verbose? Because it tries to cover a wide range
                > of eventualities. When coding by hand, everything is tailor-made.
                >
                > --
                > David Powers
                > Adobe Community Expert
                > Author, "Foundation PHP for Dreamweaver 8" (friends of ED)
                > http://foundationphp.com/