1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 24, 2012 7:29 AM by Dave Merchant

Verifying that javascript does not allow access to a link’s actual link information?ac

HJS2

I would like to verify that it is true that acrobat java script does not allow access to a link’s actual link information?

Thanks for the information so far under

Re: how to hyperlink from a pdf file to a specific page in a second pdf file

I have a harddisk with a set of acrobat files.

Manually I can set up a set of documents with links with an “action” of “go to a page in another document” that will allow jumping from document1.pdf to another document2.pdf at a given page.

I am trying to get that same action from a set of source files in word that are converted to pdfs and saved on a hardisk.

I started with a smaller set of smaller files on a website and used http://folder/document.pdf#page=2 which would open in IE with the acrobat reader plugin. As the files increased in number and size the speed was too slow.

I am trying to convert over to a set of files on a hardisk.

At this point I have a hyperlink in the word file that has the format of file:///folder/document.pdf#page=2

It will open on a PC in IE with acrobat reader to a page.

I was unable to get opening to work on a mac.

I was looking at an acrobat java script to convert the old hyperlinks to “go to a page in another document” links

But have run in to two problems

1. it seems acrobat java script does not allow access to a links actual link information in a pdf so I can get the document name an page number.

1. there does not seem to be a direct way to insert a “go to a page in another document” link. 

(although it did seem to be possible to setup a link with a javascript that would do the trick if the destination had a java script with “this.disclosed = true;”

// Open a new document

var myDoc = app.openDoc("Test2.pdf", this);

// Go to page in this new doc

myDoc.pageNum = 2;

// Close the old document

this.closeDoc();

Questions:

I would like to verify that it is true that acrobat java script does not allow access to a link’s actual link information?

If I can get the old link information in to javascript is there a way to set/add a link that implements the “go to a page in another document”?

If there is not another way to get the old link information is there another way to get around to where I need to be?

In the setup of the source/conversion process?

With some other post pdf processing?

I am trying to get that same action as “go to a page in another document” from a source files in word that are converted to pdfs and saved on a hardisk

Thanks for any help

John

Current Systems in use:

Windows XP pro SP3

Acrobat 9 pro version 9.4.4

Word 2003 version SP3

And

Mac OS 10 Lion version 10.7.4

Acrobat 9 pro version 9.5.1

(note I have limited understanding of Mac’s)