14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2012 8:23 AM by Steven L. Gotz

Timeline Start Time

Shadreck Rukweza Level 2

Is there any chance of changing the start time in PrPro CS6 to start at something like negative 5 minutes, so that I can have the 0 in the middle of the timeline. I remember seeing this feature in FCP7 a couple of years ago.

• 1. Re: Timeline Start Time
          Shadreck Rukweza Level 2

This is ideal when doing music videos, to time the original music track and the video clips, as some takes may overlapp beyond 0 into the negative time.

• 2. Re: Timeline Start Time
            Harm Millaard Level 7

I'm a big fan of doing things in camera instead of in post. So set your camera to free run timecode and genlock for multicam situations and you won't need this.

• 3. Re: Timeline Start Time
              Shadreck Rukweza Level 2

genlock for multicam situations and you won't need this.

The camera I use does not have a genlock, so this is needed! There is a choice of changing the start time, why can't it go into the negative?

• 4. Re: Timeline Start Time
                Charles VW Adobe Employee

For what it's worth, Audition can do negative start times.

• 5. Re: Timeline Start Time
                  Shadreck Rukweza Level 2

For what it's worth, Audition can do negative start times.

I think we will benefit a great deal in Premiere with that feature really. I have just exported a music video and emailed the clip to the client via dropbox, now that the clip needs corrections. So when the client quote the exact position using time in the clip its a lot different to my timeline because the editing did not start at 0 time. Although the music have been exported from where the original music track starts, the time in my timeline and the exported video is different. At least if Premiere allowed me to start at negative time, then I should be able to have the original music starts at zero going up and export from there when complete.

• 6. Re: Timeline Start Time
                    EditorPete Level 1

Couldn't you use the "Time Code" effect? You can make adjustments there, maybe not exactly what your looking for, (negative code) but at least the client and you are looking at the same code when talking to eachother about certain scenes. No need for negative code if you use this method.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Timeline Start Time
                      Shadreck Rukweza Level 2

EditorPete wrote:

Couldn't you use the "Time Code" effect?

Thas a good suggestion.

• 8. Re: Timeline Start Time
                        Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Click on the menu box, top right of the sequences, and change the start time. It does't do negative time but it is a 24 hour clock. So if your edit at the moment starts at 00:01:00:00 if you change the sequence start time to 23:59:00:00 your edit will now start at zero.

Richard

• 9. Re: Timeline Start Time
                          EditorPete Level 1

srukweza wrote:

EditorPete wrote:

Couldn't you use the "Time Code" effect?

Thas a good suggestion.

In CS6 you can use an Adjustment Layer effect across your whole sequence and add the effect to it.

• 10. Re: Timeline Start Time
                            Shadreck Rukweza Level 2

Richard M Knight wrote:

Click on the menu box, top right of the sequences, and change the start time. It does't do negative time but it is a 24 hour clock. So if your edit at the moment starts at 00:01:00:00 if you change the sequence start time to 23:59:00:00 your edit will now start at zero.

Richard

Not what I am looking for! At least if my video clips starts in the middle of the timeline with 0 counting up and down on the left side. That would be great!

• 11. Re: Timeline Start Time
                              Shadreck Rukweza Level 2

In CS6 you can use an Adjustment Layer effect across your whole sequence and add the effect to it.

I have just done that, but PrPro should be capable of counting down time! Thanks anyway.

• 12. Re: Timeline Start Time
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

The video world just doesn't have negative time, though.  That's why most productions that need this 'feature' simply start the clock at 1;00;00;00, instead of zero.

• 13. Re: Timeline Start Time
                                  efxxeditor

I think I have a solution for you. Try these steps...

Create a new sequence.

On track 1 drop a "Transparent Video" clip.  Make the clip as long as your desired countdown. Drag the "Timecode Effect" from the video filters bin and place that on the clip. Your time code will read from zero to whatever the end of the clip is.  Don't worry, keep doing the next steps.

With your title tool, create a  - which will replicate the negative symbol for your time code. Drop that on track two. Adjust the position of either the negative symbol or time code so that the negative symbol is in front of the time code window.

Take those two tracks and NEST them and place the NEST on track two. With your selection tool (V), select the NESTED clip and access the speed tool.  With the speed tool dialog box open, click on the "Reverse Speed" checkbox. Your NESTED clip will now play backward from your hightest timecode to zero.

Drop your regular video on track 1. You now have a timeline/sequence with a time code generator that will go from a negative number to zero, then if you wish, you can create another transparency layer for future clips on the sequence (after the zero time code), place that on track two, add the timecode generator, and you will be able to generate timecode in assending order for any clips you place on track one.

I tested this out this morning with a one minute clip and it seems to work out pretty good. I havn't tried it out on something as long as five minutes though.

Someone may have a better solution but this is where I'm at right now as I learn this new NLE.

I hope this helps.

efxxeditor

• 14. Re: Timeline Start Time
                                    Steven L. Gotz Level 5

That's the right idea but it would probably be easier to just create a transparent (or black) video with the timecode effect on it. Use a title to put in the minus sign.  Export as the same format as your footage and bring it back in to apply the reverse speed to it. Crop the heck out of it and put it anywhere on the frame that you want. I figure music videos couldn't require any more than a minute or two of negative numbers for assisting in syncing clips.

On a fast PC, this is easy enough and doesn't require a render that was not already required before. At least not on my PC.

Having said that, it seems a whole lot easier to just start putting clips on the timeline farther down to the right. Once you get it all synced up, trim it all back and ripple delete back to the start of the timeline.

Capture.PNG