7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2012 3:59 PM by Brett N RSS

Slideshow Export as Video does not save transition timings

FMVPhotography

Afternoon all,

I have had a quick search in the forums but cannot find a thread that mentions this subject. Recently I have decided to give client viewings of their wedding photographs rather than an online gallery as I feel it's more personal and has better impact on a large TV screen with added music. I really like the simple LR interface and have gotten around the well known music feature issue by splicing tracks in Audacity.However, the last time I tried to use the 'export to video' function it took about an hour to create 25% of it (370 photos), so I had to abandon it and take the whole PC. This time I left plenty of time and it was running overnight, and yes, a lovely MPEG-4 is now sat in my video files.

But....

I've just played it back and it seems to have lost all the timings that I meticulously spent hours perfecting. The 2.6 second duration I have set is much shorter and now all the slides don't fit with the music. I've been back to check settings when exporting and there are no options at all. Am I missing something or is export to video still in it's infancy?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Slideshow Export as Video does not save transition timings
          Brett N Adobe Employee

Just curious, what types of settings would you be looking for besides frame size (which is the only thing you can change when exporting a slideshow to video)?

Is the overall video length correct and it's only the transitions that are too short (thus the images are on screen longer)?

• 2. Re: Slideshow Export as Video does not save transition timings
            FMVPhotography Community Member

Hi Brett, sorry for the delay - I have been away shooting a wedding. Yes, I am exporting in 1080p (which is fine although it takes a long time). The problem is that when I view the slideshow in preview the transition and fade speeds I have set is fine and I have moved certain photos to significant points in the song (ie slower songs for the ceremony, lively song for the evening guests, first dance song for first dance etc). However the exported video seems to have lost the settings that I painstaking set and the slides are moving too quickly and the slideshow doesn't gel with the music. This problem is compounded the further into the slideshow you get.

• 3. Re: Slideshow Export as Video does not save transition timings
              Brett N Adobe Employee

It sounds like the video and audio have gone out of sync. This can happen with MPEG files.

Try exporting your slideshow at a smaller size (the 1080p file may be tool large to playback smoothly without dropping frames). See if a much smaller file will playback with the correct timing.

• 4. Re: Slideshow Export as Video does not save transition timings
                J.C. Vera

Hi, Brett. I'm having the same problem as FMVPhotography. I painstakingly timed out four different slideshows in LR4 on my MacBook Pro (OS 10.6.8) so that images coincide with appropriate points in the music. I'm using a single setting for all slides and a single setting for all transitions. All four run perfectly in LR, but when I save them to video, all of them run faster than in LR, throwing off all the "choreography" of the slides.

I took your suggestion and saved one of them at each available video setting and NONE of them retained the original LR timing. Then I tried various combinations of using intro and end slides (with one or the other, with both, with none) and still there was a problem. Then I tried choosing the "Fit to Music" option and that made the show the worst of all, ending the slides way before the music and then repeating the music until the end of the slides!

I'm at a loss as to what to do. I did export images and take them into iMovie to mess with them there, but that was equally frustrating as I would enter durations for images and/or transitions only to have many (but not all) over-ridden with other times.

I'm open to learning other software to be able to time images to music as I want. I haven't yet tried PS CS6, though I know it can now work with music. Would this be the best option or is there other software to try?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Vera

• 5. Re: Slideshow Export as Video does not save transition timings
                  Brett N Adobe Employee

If you are seeing the same behavior in iMovie, then that suggests the issue may be with the files involved.

Also, the "Fit to Music" option is not working at all for you. This option is supposed to change the duration of all slides so that the slide show lasts exactly as long as the music. So if you have 5 slides and a 5 minute song, the slides will all be 1 minute long. If the song is repeating, something has gone horrifically wrong.

What type of audio file is being used and where did the file come from (for both of you)?

• 6. Re: Slideshow Export as Video does not save transition timings
                    J.C. Vera Community Member

Hi, Brett.

My audio files are .mp3 files licensed by Triple Scoop Music. I've used different music for each of the four slideshows and none of them are saving out of LR with the same timing that runs within it. This is exceedingly frustrating because all are perfectly timed when shown in LR (4.1).

Also, to clarify: when in iMovie (9.0.4), I was trying different timings for various images and transitions (versus the same timing for all images in LR). Sometimes it would accept the value I entered; other times it would change the duration to something else - sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. Go figure.

I had considered upgrading to iMovie '11 but saw on the web that others are having similar problems with '11 - so far just complaints, not solutions.

As I said, I'm not sure what program would allow me to control the timing the way I want it to work. I'm open to suggestions and will pay for something that delivers, though I thought I already had done that....

Thanks again for your assistance.

Vera

• 7. Re: Slideshow Export as Video does not save transition timings
                      Brett N Adobe Employee

Would it be possible to provide a copy of the audio file to me for testing, along with th settings for the slide durations? That way I could test it out exactly on my side and verify the behavior. You can send it to me at bnemecek [AT] adobe [DOT] com.