4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2008 6:44 PM by DougQ

Auto Caption not working

DougQ

Hi I have been trying everthing but can't get the auto captions to work am aware of the rule use Demo or Custom mode. It's really anooying, is this a bug or should it work. Vers 3.0.0 Build 580 can anyone help Rick you seem to have answers can you?????

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Auto Caption not working
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Hi DougQ and welcome to our community

I'm assuming you are recording in Demo mode? You might want to try the following test. Fire up Windows Notepad, then use Captivate to record it. Just do a couple of things such as clicking File and Save As. End the recording and save it. Look at the resulting Captivate. Does this have Captions that were automatically added? If so, the auto caption would appear to be working correctly. If not, there may be something else to try.

Assuming the Notepad test works, this would seem to indicate the application you are recording isn't presenting things so that Captivate can understand them. (hey, it happens!)

Anyway, give that a go and keep us posted on how you fare... Rick
          • 2. Re: Auto Caption not working
            DougQ Level 1
            Hi Rick tried it and it didn't I had already tried it in IE assuming that would work ? any other things I could try?
            • 3. Re: Auto Caption not working
              Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              Hi again

You might try resetting your Captivate preferences file. Sometimes that fixes things. I've never known it to specifically address the issue you are having, but hey, it's worth a shot!

To reset the file, close Captivate. Now open Windows Explorer and navigate to the following location:

?DriveLetter?:\Documents and Settings\?UserName?\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Captivate
              *NOTE: ?DriveLetter? will be whatever drive you have Captivate installed on. ?UserName? will be however you logged into your PC.

If you don't see this location or files, it's probably because Windows is “helping you out” and hiding them from you. To fix that, click Tools * Folder Options * View tab and ensure you are Showing hidden files and folders as well as DE-selecting the Hide extensions for known file types and Hide protected operating system files.

Rename or Delete the file you should find in this location. The file is labeled captivate_v30.dat.

Restart Captivate and give it a try.

Beyond that, I'm unsure as to exactly why Captivate wouldn't automatically insert captions. Unless for some reason it was improperly installed. But in that case, I'd think other symptoms would present themselves.

Cheers... Rick
              • 4. Re: Auto Caption not working
                DougQ Level 1
                hi no luck with that thanks anyway, i installed a demo of ver 2 and didn't remove it first so it may be this causing the problem I have removed it now (v2) and it still doesn't work (V3). Will uninstall and reinstall v3 next week as I'll need the code from my IT dept.

Cheers