8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2012 1:52 PM by jstrawn

still frames degrade in quality over time

Pacoan Level 1

I have a lot of footage that was recorded from my screen and saved as uncompressed avi. During the video, this footage is played, and then paused so that the viewer can look at a specific thing. To pause the footage, I have been cutting the footage and extending a single frame for the duration of the time needed. After rendering the video (.mp4), the paused footage changes in quality for no apparent reason. Sometimes it is clear, sometimes it is degraded so that text is not readable.

Any suggestions for what I can do to keep the footage quality more consistent?

• 1. Re: still frames degrade in quality over time
          josephs51576386 Level 3

Are you saving the footage as progressive? Or interlaced? What are your sequence settings and resolution etc?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: still frames degrade in quality over time
            Pacoan Level 1

The footage is being saved as interlaced- lower fields 1 pass

The sequence is SD 720X480

SO I think that this issue is related to my sequence settings, I created a new sequence that matches the recorded footage (by dragging the footage onto the 'New Item' icon, then exported, and it looks fine)

Thanks

• 3. Re: still frames degrade in quality over time
              Pacoan Level 1

So what I am realizing is that all of my sequences have been created with incorrect settings, thus greatly downgrading the film quality. I wish I had picked up in this earlier rather than the last bit of my production. Because now the 25 minutes of sequences, and nested sequences are all basically incorrect. I figured that the poor display was related to Premieres program monitor, and that after rendering, it would display more clearly. But that is just impossible, when placing uncompressed progressive footage 1366X768, square pixels and 30fps into sequences that are 720X480, 29.97, and a non-square pixel aspect ratio...

So I'm wondering, is there any way to change the sequence settings  or place all of the edited footage in new, matching sequences without essentially re-editing the whole film?

Any helpful words are appreciated.

• 4. Re: still frames degrade in quality over time
                jstrawn Adobe Employee

is there any way to change the sequence settings  or place all of the edited footage in new, matching sequences without essentially re-editing the whole film?

Yes. Drag one of your source clips over the 'new item' icon to create a new sequence to match it... or create a new HDV (or whatever format you want) sequence using the presets and modifying its settings as needed.

Then copy and paste fromt the old sequence to the new one. It should remeber most, if not all, of all the edits you made in the first sequence. If you have a lot of nested sequences and such, it could get tricky...

• 5. Re: still frames degrade in quality over time
                  Pacoan Level 1

Thanks! It is going to be a process. That is one way to learn a lesson

--

Patrick Coan

Sent with Sparrow (http://www.sparrowmailapp.com/?sig)

• 6. Re: still frames degrade in quality over time
                    jstrawn Adobe Employee

It shouldn't be a long process. Just create your new sequence then select everything and copy and paste it all at once... It will remember your trims, effects, etc...

• 7. Re: still frames degrade in quality over time
                      Pacoan Level 1

For part, you are probably right, although (and I knew this was a mistake to begin with) I've been using Premiere as a compositing tool to creat UI elements, as if it were After Effects, there are a bunch of nested sequences. It's going to be a little sticky. Thanks for the help and the encouragement 

--

Patrick Coan

Sent with Sparrow (http://www.sparrowmailapp.com/?sig)

• 8. Re: still frames degrade in quality over time
                        jstrawn Adobe Employee

OH, yeah, the nested sequences may be a problem.  I abuse PrPro regularly by using it as a compositng tool and have copied and pasted that stuff successfully, but not so much with a nested sequnce scenario. I just stack images in tracks and use the ECP to animate them, and then group things as needed. But I'm not suggesting that workflow, because it's sub-optimal, as you've discovered...

You have my empathy. Let me know how it goes.