6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2012 10:03 PM by shooternz

cuda cores or ram

shooternz Level 6

When choosing and comparing  Video Cards

What is best for Premiere Mercury functions....more cuda cores or more video  ram?

What do the cores do and what does the video ram do?

(I assume cuda cores process ...but the  GPU ram ?)

Next ....what does OCing the GPU card do?

• 1. Re: cuda cores or ram
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Graig,

In general more CUDA cores is better, but with the advent of Kepler, people thought they would get around three times the performance of a 580, because the number of CUDA cores had tripled. Not so. I believe that it is all about the memory bandwidth that determines the performance of a video card. That is why the 570/580/670/680 are clearly faster than a Quadro 4000/5000.

Modern day cards have a lot of VRAM and for most users that is enough for daily work, but if you have used all available VRAM, PR automatically and ungracefully reverts to software MPE mode. If you only edit HD material, you will be hard pressed to create a situation where you run out of VRAM, but if you edit Red 4K, Epic 5K and similar high resolutions, the situation of running out of VRAM can occur much more often.

If you want to buy a card now, look at the best memory bandwidth you can get and the maximum memory you can get. Then consider your options.

Example:

• GTX 680/4 GB - memory bandwidth 192.3 GB/s, 4 GB VRAM, price around € 600.
          • Quadro 6000 - memory bandwidth 144 GB/s, 6 GB VRAM, price around € 3600.

The GTX 680 clearly delivers better performance, has quite a lot of memory for around 1/6-th the price of the Quadro.

• 2. Re: cuda cores or ram
            shooternz Level 6

Thanx Harm

I guess my GTX670 with 4GB ram is reasonably powerful in the scale of things for Premiere and HD work.

I am now trying to work out what card to purchase to add to the mix for DA Vinci Resolve ( which requires 2 cards). It uses them differently than Premiere. One card mages GUI and processing.

In Resolve - one card manges GUI and one manages processing.

My thinking is the more powerful card is required for processing in Resolve and the lesser for GUI.

My experience with Premiere and the Quadro FX3800 shows me it will  manage the Premiere task fine... so a slightly more powerful card wil also be fine / adequate and an improvement.

I  do not wish to purchase another serious card such as the GTX670 with 4GB ram ( co$t) so I am looking at the alternatives for the GUI card.

• 3. Re: cuda cores or ram
              Harm Millaard Level 7

I thought I had already suggested a combo of 670 for PR and a 550 Ti or 560 Ti for the DaVinci  application as an affordable solution, or even a 520.

• 4. Re: cuda cores or ram
                shooternz Level 6

Yes...I am researching those... but the thing is...these  cards are sometimes offered with more or less RAM

More Ram ..more expense...and what is the benefit.

• 5. Re: cuda cores or ram
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

I think that is more a question for DaVinci, since PR only uses one card and that is the 670.

• 6. Re: cuda cores or ram
                    shooternz Level 6

I bought and installed a GTX 560 -1gb. and delegated the GTX670 4GB to the second slot for Da Vinci purposes.

Premiere and Da Vinciplay nice with this.

Its  a great compromise and it also managed potential power supply issues as well as being cost effective.

Thanx for pointing mein the direction of the 550/560.  The 560 has more cores.

Installation was a breeze and no driver issue.