2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2012 9:16 AM by Rick Gerard

Video editor prices?

Triprosopos

Hi i work as video editor and create some music video clips etc.

The price which i have is VERY LOW. 50 euro for video clip with effects and more stuff...

Can anyone tell me please what prices i should have. How i can count the perfect prices?

I mean i sould be payed per hour, by general budget like that= 100 food+ 20 haircut+ 400 house+ 200 in my pocket= 720 Euros.

Also can you tell me how much cost a music video clip by some experts in the field?

• 1. Re: Video editor prices?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The price of video work varies wildly. If you are a video editior (cutting things in Premiere or Final Cut) you will charge differently from if you are a visual effects artist or a compositor or a color grader. Not only will the price per hour vary based on what you are doing, but it will also vary based on your experience level. It will also vary depending on where you live.

• 2. Re: Video editor prices?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've been at this for a long time. In the best of times, the 70's and 80's, the average day rate for a professional with sufficient gear to produce professional video was about half the average monthly income for someone working full time for a TV station. Sounds like a lot, but at that time I had 3 times more money timed up in video gear than the value of my home and car.

Now days, a pro with gear makes about the same per day but the average home is worth way more than most pros have tied up in production equipment. IOW, it's way harder to make a living today than it was back then. It's way way harder to make a good living unless you're recognized as one of the handful of 'Hot' creative's in the world.

There are some basic rules that any creative must follow in order to make a living. You have to start with what you need to survive. You can't expect to survive and prosper or ever hope to move into the ranks of the 'Hot' pros unless you can make a living. If you can't do it on editing and production alone, get another job to support yourself until you can.

There are a bunch of salary surveys out there. One of the best barometers of average rates is the Motion Graphics Census which is collecting data now for 2011 the UK and I think Spain. The US MG Census is closed. The 2010 US report is available here.