23 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2012 10:32 AM by cyberbaffled

snap-on requested when reinstalled CS2 ID to read files created therewith

cyberbaffled Level 1

missing plugins 1.jpgmissing plugins 2.jpgI re-installed my ancient CS2 Indesign on a Windows 7 computer to read seven year old files created therewith.  When I attempt to open a file I'm prompted that a variety of snap-ons are missing.  I've copied screen shots of the prompts below.  Anyone know where I can I find these snap-ons?  I only installed CS2 Indesign.  If I'd have installed everything, would that have picked up the missing snap-ons? The second image below is a scroll view from which I've only copied the top of the scroll.

• 1. Re: snap-on requested when reinstalled CS2 ID to read files created therewith
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I answered you in the post. Those are NOT CS2 files.

Bob

• 2. Re: snap-on requested when reinstalled CS2 ID to read files created therewith
            cyberbaffled Level 1

CS 2 InDesign won't open files -in a Windows 7 environment- that it created in a Windows XP environment.  Instead CS2 ID prompts for the snap-ons I've screen printed.  Do you know of any way to get around this?  A secondary question is: where do those .rpln files live and why would ID prompt for them?

• 3. Re: snap-on requested when reinstalled CS2 ID to read files created therewith
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

As Bob has already said, that error mans the files were saved in a leter version of InDesign, at least CS4. Yoou can use this script to tell you what version: Adobe Forums: [Ann] Identify Your InDesign File

• 4. Re: snap-on requested when reinstalled CS2 ID to read files created therewith
                Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What Bob means is that those files that the files you think are CS2 files have been resaved as a CS4 file at some time.

• 5. Re: snap-on requested when reinstalled CS2 ID to read files created therewith

Seriously, do you even bother to read the responses here or do you just want to keep asking the same question over and over again?

Bob

• 6. Re: snap-on requested when reinstalled CS2 ID to read files created therewith
                    cyberbaffled Level 1

Bob,

Larry Schneider understood my confusion when he emailed “what Bob means...”.  I had no idea what the relationship was between the “worldready composer”, those .rpln files, and CS4.  Also, I’ve received a flurry of emails responding to a sequence of forum posts, and it’s been very difficult to correlate the two; particularly chronologically.  It would help if every email copied a post, so that I can check the forum for the chronology of communications.  So where I am now is that I’ll download the suggested zip file.  Then assuming it informs what your colleagues have been suggesting, how am I going to cope since I don’t have CS4?  It’s a pity that Adobe doesn’t take the care that Microsoft has with Word and make at least ten years of upgrades forward compatible.  For corporations considering purchasing InDesign, I would think that would be a sine qua non.

me

• 7. Re: snap-on requested when reinstalled CS2 ID to read files created therewith

What versions of InDesign DO you have? This isn't necessarily a CS4 file, just at least that new. Has anyone else had access to these files?

As far as backward compatibility, there is no page layout program I'm aware of that can open files from new versions of the application. Layout apps are a lot more complex than MS Word. Adobe does provide a method for converting newer files for use in older versions -- exporting to .idml for versions CS4 through CS6, but for anything earlier you must open in CS4 and export to .inx, then open that in CS3 and export again to .inx and so forth, back to CS. There is no method to convert a file to readability in Version 2.0 or earlier. Be warned, though, that back-porting files can be pretty iffy. New features are lost, and text is practically guaranteed to reflow.

• 8. Re: snap-on requested when reinstalled CS2 ID to read files created therewith
                        cyberbaffled Level 1

Peter, here's where I'm at with this.  I've used Jong's javascript to determine that the files I now need to edit using ID CS5.5 -the current version that I own and use for all other purposes- were created using CS Standard (I'm guessing that if it had a version number that would be 1).  Fortunately or irrelevantly as the case may be I still possess CS 1 and CS 2.  From CS 1 I've exported at least one of those files in inx format, hoping to open it in ID CS 2, but in the latter the xml import option is grayed-out.  So also it's grayed out in CS5.5.  So I'm stumped.  Now there's also the mystery of why xml import is grayed out in CS 5.5.  One would think that that utility would first want to encounter an xml file before choosing whether or not to encounter an xml file in the first place.  Since the utility is grayed-out, it's chosen to not have that opportunity. Also, and this is entirely tangent to the primary issue, it's implicit that Adobe's business strategy with respect to InDesign is to maximize short term revenue using enticing, frequent upgraded versions, which weren't intended to be easily forward and backward compatible.  I would guess that somewhere around eighty to ninety percent of business labor in using ID involves basic textual and basic format changes that are somewhat comparable to the manner in which businesses use Microsoft Word.  This creates an opportunity for Adobe to design ID around a core set of features that are forward and backward compatible, analogous to MS Word, that could be explicitly marketed to businesses for that labor and cost minimizing compatibility.  This would shift Adobe's business strategy from maximizing revenue from those businesses which chose to absorb the increased labor and purchase costs of the product as it now exists to those businesses which would prefer a product that has a longer production life-span.  Would there be a greater number of the latter type businesses than the former such that sales to the latter would create greater revenue in some meaningful accounting interval than sales to the former type businesses?  This would make a good case study for business school marketing students or a productive contract with a microeconomist.

• 9. Re: snap-on requested when reinstalled CS2 ID to read files created therewith
                          Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What happens if you just use File>Open on the .inx file from CS1 in CS5.5?

• 10. Re: snap-on requested when reinstalled CS2 ID to read files created therewith
                            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

> From CS 1 I've exported at least one of those files in inx format, hoping to open it in ID CS 2, but in the latter the xml import option is grayed-out.  So also it's grayed out in CS5.5.  So I'm stumped.

That is not how one opens an .inx file. Simply use Open, as Larry says.

It makes one wonder why "Import XML" is disabled, though -- usually you can import as much XML as you want, and it has nothing to do with you trying to target an .inx file (it'd try but then probably fail).

• 11. Re: snap-on requested when reinstalled CS2 ID to read files created therewith

I don't want to get into a long discussion about the pros and cons of a stripped down version of ID. That's not something that is likely to happen. ID is not targeted at business users who want a simple word-processor-like application, but rather at design professionals who want, and need all the features they can get.

Back to the problem at hand. InDesign CS5.5 can open any .indd file created from Verison 1.0 (I think, but those are pretty rare) up to CS5.5 (which is version 7.5; CS was version 3, and CS2 is version 4, so the numbering is a little confusing to some people). IF you want to edit these in CS5.5 you can just use File > Open..., and the same command will open the inx files (in the same or any newer version than the one used to do the export) or any .idml files you might have. You don't need to import xml.

My personal advice is that you should export .inx from the original version, then open that in CS5.5. It cleans up any minor corruption and forces all of the text to recompose with the new text engine. If you open the .indd files directly the text will not recompose until you click a text frame, and you can get some nasty surprises, and we see some reports of sudden file failure after legacy .indd files are edited in CS5 and later. If you do open the .indd files directly, you should export immediately to .idml, then open and resave that as a new .indd (DON'T overwrite the old one) and continue to edit the new file.

• 12. Re: snap-on requested when reinstalled CS2 ID to read files created therewith

[Jongware] wrote:

It makes one wonder why "Import XML" is disabled, though -- usually you can import as much XML as you want, and it has nothing to do with you trying to target an .inx file (it'd try but then probably fail).

I suspect is has to do with there not being an open document. Can one import xml without a document into which it should go?

• 13. Re: snap-on requested when reinstalled CS2 ID to read files created therewith
                                  cyberbaffled Level 1

When I attempt file>open (.inx file produced by ID CS 1 opened into ID CS 5.5)  I receive error message "Cannot open the file filename.inx...Adobe InDesign may not support the file format..."

• 15. Re: snap-on requested when reinstalled CS2 ID to read files created therewith

Did you EXPORT an INX file or just rename an INDD file?

Bob

• 16. Re: snap-on requested when reinstalled CS2 ID to read files created therewith
                                      cyberbaffled Level 1

Here's where this issue is at.  I've attempted twice to open the .inx file in ID CS 5.5 and have gotten the error message I copied to Larry Schneider.  Also, if I open the .indd file created in ID CS 1 (version 3, formally you tell me) into ID CS 5.5, the file appears as it did opened in ID CS 1 (but explodes with the change of a single word: the original issue initiating this discussion track) and then export it .idml then import that .idml file (or "save as" followed by "open"; I forget at the moment which) the resulting file appearing in ID CS 5.5 is exploded in the same way that occurs when any adjustment of the initial ID CS 1 .indd file is attempted.  Finally, I did not know that an xml file (was not a document) and had to be imported into a document (analogous to "place"ing a graphic file into an open Photoshop document).  So summing up, I've learned a number of new things for which I'm grateful and great credit must be given to the Jong javascript because it would never have occurred to me that the files I'm attempting to adjust were created in ID CS 1; and since the changes I need to make are primarily textual and not formating and since I still possess the initial ID CS 1, I can use it to make the changes and export those files to the  PDF X-1a:2001 format required by my printer.  And there's the solution. What delayed realization of this solution was my reflexive attempt to open the old files into ID CS 5.5, for which I payed a pretty penny, as they say.  However, my motivation for that upgrade was 5.5's ability to export to .epub format, which type of file I had previously been assembling manually; an exhaustive endeavor.  So great thanks to Bob, Larry, and Peter for staying with me throughout this learning experience.

• 17. Re: snap-on requested when reinstalled CS2 ID to read files created therewith

Your posts would be easier to read if you heit the enter key every so often.

It isn't clear, have you tried opent the file in CS5.5 and exporting to .idml BEFORE you do anything else?

• 18. Re: snap-on requested when reinstalled CS2 ID to read files created therewith
                                          cyberbaffled Level 1

Oops!  I spoke too soon.  Given, a file created in 2002 or thereabouts using ID CS 1 and archived; then reopened today in ID CS 1 reinstalled in a Windows 7 environment.  Then I change one letter in that text.  The file shatters into exactly the same pattern of white-space ellipsie text that that file opened in ID CS 5.5 shatters into.  This editing problem could not have possibly existed in 2002 or the software would have been quickly abandoned as useless, generating time wasting recursions of white-space problem with every edit, the problem's source must be differences between the memory register resources available to Adobe programmers when creating ID for the pre-Windows XP OS (whatever that was) and those resources available in the Windows 7 environment.  All told, there's no solution to this problem except to export the files to text, copy and paste them back into ID, and reformat. Here's a carriage-return.  We'll see if it survives the posting. Another CR.  Yes, I did try first opening the file in CS5.5 and exporting to .idml.  It didn't lead to a solution.

• 19. Re: snap-on requested when reinstalled CS2 ID to read files created therewith
                                            Michael Gianino Level 4

cyberbaffled wrote:

…a file created in 2002 or thereabouts using ID CS 1 and archived; then reopened today in ID CS 1 reinstalled in a Windows 7 environment…

One key point that you may not be considering is that when the document was created in 2002, it wasn't created using Windows 7. If you have an older computer with the OS you used in 2002, you may get different results. If you can, open the file in CS1, export it to INX, and then move that file to the Windows 7 CS5.5 machine.

Also, it sounds like you are experiencing the forum through email (maybe with a smart phone), which makes it harder to follow the time line. If you use a web browser to come into the forum on your computer, it may be more clear who said what and when.

• 20. Re: snap-on requested when reinstalled CS2 ID to read files created therewith

Also of note is that no version of InDesign earlier than CS3 is supported in Windows 7. All bets are off with this combination.

Bob

• 21. Re: snap-on requested when reinstalled CS2 ID to read files created therewith

I never managed to get CS1 to install, even in the virtual machine.

Do you still have an XP box? How does the file behave in CS1 on that?

• 22. Re: snap-on requested when reinstalled CS2 ID to read files created therewith
                                                  cyberbaffled Level 1

Peter,

I have an old IBM with XP crowding out every last byte of memory, so I don’t know if I can install CS 1 or 2.  We’re coming into a busy weekend, though, and I may not have time to experiment until Monday.

• 23. Re: snap-on requested when reinstalled CS2 ID to read files created therewith
                                                    cyberbaffled Level 1

Bob,

That is what I have dismally had to conclude.