6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2012 5:45 AM by Peter Spier

Text conditions

javier.arizcuren Level 1

Hi.

First of all sorry but english is not my mother tongue.

My question: I'm working editing manuals for high tech equipments. Those manuals are in 6 languages (one manual for each language, not 6 languages in one manual). I'm using Conditional text (one condition for each language) for adresses, references, etc.

I wanna do one thing but I don't know how. We have User manuals and Installation manuals. I wanna have 6 conditions for languages and 2 conditions for user and for installation manuals. If I select the conditions User manual and English I wanna see "User manual". If I pick User manual an Spanish I wanna see "Manual de usuario". If I pick Installation manual and English, then "Installation manual". Etc.

I can do this making User an Installation conditions inside every language condition, but it's very tiresome. I just want 8 text conditions, not 6*2=12.

Is it possible? Could I apply 2 conditions to some text? I know that I can apply 2 conditions to one text but if only one of the conditions is chosen the text is displayed. I wanna that the text was displayed only if both conditions were selected.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Text conditions
          javier.arizcuren Level 1

I'm still looking for a solution but I can't find it.

• 2. Re: Text conditions
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I think the condition logic is always "or" rather than "and" so what you are asking is probably not possible without a separate set of conditions for the manuals text, i.e. English Installation, English User, Spanish Installation, Spanish user, etc. that you apply only to those strings.

• 3. Re: Text conditions
              javier.arizcuren Level 1

Thanks Peter.

In many cases OR condition is fine but in cases like this it doesn't work, and AND condition would do it. The main problem of your advice is that I would have to repeat a lot of work. For example, I would have to assign 'pounds' to 'USA Installation' and 'USA user' and 'kg' to 'Spain installation', 'Spain user', 'Italian installation', 'Italian user', 'French installation', etc. And that for every conditional text of the document. So tiresome.

• 4. Re: Text conditions

I don't see why you'd need to change anything but the conditions on user manual/installation manual, unless those other terms only appear in conjunction with one or the other of those two strings. Leaving everything else as simply assigned a language condition ought to work. You would choose the language condition and the manual condition. Text assigned the language would appear, and text assigned the manual would appear.

• 5. Re: Text conditions
                  javier.arizcuren Level 1

Yes but I should have 18 labels:

English (for weights, references, and other stuff)

English Installation manual (just for text 'Installation manual')

English User manual (just for text 'User manual')

Spanish (for weights, references, and other stuff)

Spanish Installation manual (just for text 'Manual de instalación')

Spanish user manual (just for text 'Manual de usuario')

French

And I don't want 18 text conditions labels.

• 6. Re: Text conditions

You could ask over in scripting, but I don't think what you want is possible. Perhaps someone knows about a third-party plugin that can handle "and" logic for conditions.