22 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2012 6:46 PM by charles badland

Dropped color channel?

chasbosc

I have just lost proper color in my CS5 suite and it appears that I dropped a channel (red?).  I did not change my profile and trying to do so has no effect.  Color is correct in all other programs and my monitor is correctly calibrated using Huey Pro.  Attached is a screen shot of a side by side of the same image displayed in IrfanView and in Photoshop.   Any ideas short of re-installing?

12-0728-ColorIssue.jpg

• 1. Re: Dropped color channel?
          Sharon Huang Level 3

Hi chasbosc,

Can you double check your Channels panel looks like this?

channel.jpg

• 2. Re: Dropped color channel?
            charles badland Level 4

It looks like you are Soft Proofing in one of the Color Blind profiles.

Go View>Proof Setup and see if Protanopia or Deuteranopia are checked.

• 3. Re: Dropped color channel?
              Noel Carboni Level 8

I believe you're seeing color-management at work.

IrfanView does not normally have color-management enabled (though it can be), Photoshop does.

What color profile is the image tagged with?  I'm guessing Adobe RGB 1998 or maybe ProPhoto RGB.

-Noel

• 4. Re: Dropped color channel?
                chasbosc Level 1

Yes, the Channels panel looks as above, but without much color.  Even the Swatches panel lacks color.  Oddly, when I go to open a file, the thumbnail displays properly, with good color, but when I open the image it's mud.  When this first occured I tried opening Bridge and at first the thumbnails displayed correctly, but as I watched, they changed to mud.  I assume PS sync'd the unchanged, though somehow corrupted, profile from PS.  Re-boots and registry cleans didn't help either.  This is a wierd one. 

Here's another screen clip showing Channels, Swatches and Hue Saturation panels, all of which have colors that look like mud, along side the brilliant IrfanView image.

12-0728-ColorIssue-02.jpg

• 5. Re: Dropped color channel?
                  chasbosc Level 1

Adobe RGB 1998 (per Dek)

• 6. Re: Dropped color channel?
                    chasbosc Level 1

Working CMYK was checked, so I guess that's not it(?)  I do hope it will be something that simple!!

Charlie

• 7. Re: Dropped color channel?
                      Noel Carboni Level 8

So color-management is not turned on in IrfanView?

Based on the muted color-picker Photoshop is showing, I'd say you may have a botched up monitor color profile - or Photoshop isn't interpreting it properly (not likely).

Did this start when you last calibrated/profiled your display?

What does your OS Color Management dialog show?

-Noel

• 8. Re: Dropped color channel?
                        Noel Carboni Level 8

One other question...  Does the problem persist across a reboot?

-Noel

• 9. Re: Dropped color channel?
                          conroy Level 5

Edit > Color Settings…, display the advanced controls by clicking More Options button if necessary. See if monitor colour desaturation is enabled. There appears to be more going on than desaturation, but check that anyway because it does affect the displayed colours in swatches and hue/sat adjustment.

• 10. Re: Dropped color channel?
                            chasbosc Level 1

Noel,

The images  I shared are screen clips (not a comosite) that similtaneously show the irfanView image and the PS screen.  I have  built-in Huey Pro calibration and run it regularly, but this didn't happen after doing so.  I didn run it again after it happened without change; the default color temp was still 65/Gamut 2.2.  OS Color Management shows the Huey as the default mangement.  FYI, this is happening on my laptop; I'm running an Nvidia 3700m with a screen res of 1920 x 1200

Does this give you what you were asking for?

Charlie

• 11. Re: Dropped color channel?
                              chasbosc Level 1

Noel,

Rebooted cold twice, with the same result.

• 12. Re: Dropped color channel?
                                chasbosc Level 1

Hello conroy2009,

That was where I went first; profile was the same and desaturate wasn't checked.

Charlie

• 13. Re: Dropped color channel?
                                  Noel Carboni Level 8

You haven't answered the question about whether you've enabled color-management in IrfanView.

If not, IrfanView will be sending the RGB values directly to the monitor without transformation.  My thinking is that if color-management is enabled in IrfanView and the colors end up the same as what Photoshop is showing, then you have a monitor color profile problem.

IVCM.png

Also, your description of what you're seeing in the Color Management dialog was a bit vague.  Screenshot that please.

-Noel

• 14. Re: Dropped color channel?
                                    chasbosc Level 1

Hello Noel,

This thread was going fast and I only just got around to looking for color management in IrfanView; couldn't find it and it wasn't listed in the index and in all the years I've been using IrfanView I've never noticed it; can you point to it?

Speaking of all the years, I've never had anything like this happen in PS; I've always trusted its color management over anything else.  Does something like 'restore defaults' exsist?  I sure looked for it! 

I'm guessing something got corrupted in the last OS update as, thinking back, I believe this happened after a re-boot (from last night or yesterday?) and I might not have re-booted since that last update.  Just not sure.  Anyway, if it comes down to it, re-installing the suite couldn't hurt.

c

• 15. Re: Dropped color channel?
                                      chasbosc Level 1

Noel,

Guess we crossed on the last response.  I have Iview 4.25 with plug-ins, but no Zoom/Color Management option in the Properties/Settings panel, so I guess it can't be that, unless it's hidden somewhere else(?)12-0728-ColorIssue-03.jpg

• 16. Re: Dropped color channel?
                                        Noel Carboni Level 8

Chances are, if you don't know where the color-management setting in IrfanView is you haven't enabled it. 

I suspect you may need to generate a new profile.  At some point we can try replacing the custom profile your Huey created with the system default (which is sRGB IEC61966-2.1), which can be added then made default.

Why it should change...  Not sure - but I've seen Windows Updates bring in profiles that have overridden what's already on a system (hence my thought to generate a new profile).

I'll let you catch up with the other questions in the thread.

-Noel

• 17. Re: Dropped color channel?
                                          chasbosc Level 1

Noel,

FYI, just updated Iview + plug-ins to 4.33 and can now see the color management option.  It is not checked.

• 18. Re: Dropped color channel?
                                            Noel Carboni Level 8

If you check it, and close and restart IrfanView, do you see the same colors in that image using both Photoshop and IrfanView now?  If so, that pretty definitely says there's a monitor profile problem.

-Noel

• 19. Re: Dropped color channel?
                                              chasbosc Level 1

Noel,

Probably should have posted this earlier.  Here's a screen shot of what I have under color management in PS.  I have tried changing a few things to try and get things working, so it might not be quite as it was, but it looks right and the results haven't changed. 

I see that the unsynchronized warning is displayed; probably from the changes I tried(?)  Should I try sync-ing? 12-0728-ColorIssue-04.jpg

• 20. Re: Dropped color channel?
                                                chasbosc Level 1

Noel,

I just tried turning on color management in Iview and got an interesting result.  All the .jpeg's display normal but all the .psd's displayed like mud just like images in PS.  When I turned off color management, and ran the same string of images, both the .jpeg's and .psd's display correctly.

• 21. Re: Dropped color channel?
                                                  Level 7

Most likely that means that your monitor profile is bad.

• 22. Re: Dropped color channel?
                                                    charles badland Level 4

I would make sure you have the latest Huey Pro software installed and run a re-calibration.