2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2012 12:49 AM by BITESBITER

Color Finesse vs Colorista 2  Premiere vs After Effects for color correction

BITESBITER Level 1

Hi,

I want to get in to color correcting of my Canon XF305 footage that is converted to the Blackmagic 10 bits lossless codec.

I have two Eizo calibrated monitors etc , but my only doubt is the choice of the program (to do it in Premiere-pro or After Effects) and with Color Finesse or with Colorista 2.

So if there are people with color correction experience please share it here.

Thanks! David

• 1. Re: Color Finesse vs Colorista 2  Premiere vs After Effects for color correction
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I do 90% or more of my color correction with Colorista because it's a more powerful tool. More options, and, to my way of doing things, better control.

With CS6, and my next project I may give Speed Grade a try. Final CC or specific color treatments for specific shots will probably involve Colorista.

As little as 2 years ago, if I had a grading project that was longer than 10 or 20 minutes running time I found that it was more efficient to use a post house with a DaVinci system because it was so much faster than anything I could do with a desktop machine. I also got more done with a technician that did nothing but color grading every day. It was more economical. I'm not sure that is still the case with GPU accelerated processing available in CS6.

I would suggest that you take a close look at the Colorista tutorials from Red Giant TV. It's a very powerful tool.

One last thought, Black Magic is offering a free version of DaVinci Resolve. I haven't had the time to take a look, but it might be another option.

• 2. Re: Color Finesse vs Colorista 2  Premiere vs After Effects for color correction
            BITESBITER Level 1

Thanks Rick! I will go for Colorista.

David