11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2012 11:40 AM by charles badland

Logo made in Ps is bit blurry in Microsoft Word

Sylvia[87]

Hi there,

for a client I made a logo in Photoshop. For her letters she uses Word en wants to use to logo there. But if the logo is imported in Word, using insert from file from the menu the logo gets a bit blurry, sort of anti-alias kind of blur.

I tried PNG and JPEG, with 72 dpi, 150 dpi and even 96 dpi. It used the sizes we need in word so no rescaling is done. When exporting from Word to PDF does not help.

The settings for compressing are set to "keep current resolution".

I use PS CS5 en Word 2011 both on the Mac. My client uses Windows.

Does anybody now what to do about the not so sharp images in Word 2011?

• 1. Re: Logo made in Ps is bit blurry in Microsoft Word
          charles badland Level 4

Does it print sharp?

When you zoom-in in MSW does it look sharp?

Why such a low PPI? For print I would think you would want at least 300 PPI.

What is the print size (or pixel dimensions) of the art you are inserting?

Can the logo be made and inserted as a vector file? (Using Illustrator?)

• 2. Re: Logo made in Ps is bit blurry in Microsoft Word
            JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Sylvia[87] wrote:

I tried PNG and JPEG, with 72 dpi, 150 dpi and even 96 dpi. It used the sizes we need in word so no rescaling is done. When exporting from Word to PDF does not help.

I use PS CS5 en Word 2011 both on the Mac. My client uses Windows.

Does anybody now what to do about the not so sharp images in Word 2011?

Yes create a good one you want to use word so you may want to print start with a print size document 8.5" x 11" at 300DPI the document will have a pixel size of  2550x3300 pixels make the logo large scaling down in size works better then scaling up in size im word

• 3. Re: Logo made in Ps is bit blurry in Microsoft Word
              Sylvia[87] Level 1

I don't know if it prints sharp, but she will use her letters etc digitally...that's why I use low dpi. I have files big enough at HR to print banners, but those have nothing to do with MSW

At any zoom (in or out) is does not look sharp.

I insert 236 x 49px   or   488 x 101px   or  745 x 154

It seems that the quality stays better with 300 dpi, less qualityloss in MSW.

On the picture you see on the left the photoshop logo (zoomed) and on the right a pdf generated by MSW to show what I mean what happends to the images.

Schermafbeelding 2012-07-28 om 16.41.29.png

• 4. Re: Logo made in Ps is bit blurry in Microsoft Word
                charles badland Level 4

Is there a reason this has to be a raster image?

Can the logo be made and inserted as a vector file? (Using Illustrator?)

What you show looks like upsampling into a higher resolution PDF document.

And, just to be clear, your goal is to have the image in Word look like the pixelated text shown in the left image?

If you can't make the logo vector, I would use a much higher resolution than what you are currently using.

• 5. Re: Logo made in Ps is bit blurry in Microsoft Word
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

There is no difference in overall sharpness between those two images.  Only difference is that you can see the pixels in the one and the system has smoothed the edges in the other.

Charles has touched on it:  The image is rasterized.  Only thing you can do if you need rasterized pixels is use more of them.

Try creating it at a higher pixel count, then pasting it into Word with a downsized sizing percentage.

-Noel

• 6. Re: Logo made in Ps is bit blurry in Microsoft Word
                    charles badland Level 4

Here is an example of the logo (or the section you posted) created in Adobe Illustrator, inserted in MSW, saved as PDF and viewed (zoomed in to 1600%) in Acrobat.

DV-coun_sharp.jpg

• 7. Re: Logo made in Ps is bit blurry in Microsoft Word
                      MikeKPhoto Level 2

I made my own stationery for my business, I am somewhat of a cheapskate and use MS word for letters and envelopes and Excel for invoices. I went the TIFF route and built my logo in Photoshop and saved as a 300 dpi TIFF which made the document around 98k with a full page of text.

Here is a test shown enlarged to 300% in Microsoft Word - at 100% and in print it is dead sharp coming out of my HP laserjet

MyLogo.JPG

Mike

• 8. Re: Logo made in Ps is bit blurry in Microsoft Word
                        Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Word doesn't really care for DPI. It thinks in absolute pixels and will use your system's monitor DPI for rasterizing the screen preview and it will use the printer driver setting to determine the final size of elements when you switch to layout mode/ print preview. Only when it comes to printing does DPI/ PPI matter at all and only then can it benefit form high-DPI imagery. Anyway, if sharpness is critical independent of specific scaling or printer driver setting, use a vector WMF. Everything else will always be a compromise. A simple difference in printer driver at your client vs. your own setup may change things, if only slightly. You're printing text documents, not layout files, after all.

Mylenium

• 9. Re: Logo made in Ps is bit blurry in Microsoft Word
                          Sylvia[87] Level 1

Hi,

Thank you all for your contribution so far. I'll fiddle with some settings some more. The reason it's not vector is because the logo is partially a image of grass. I'm sure it will look great when I print it, but the point is that it have to look nice on screen...

• 10. Re: Logo made in Ps is bit blurry in Microsoft Word
                            JJMack Most Valuable Participant

A while back you appended

Sylvia[87] wrote:

I insert 236 x 49px   or   488 x 101px   or  745 x 154

It seems that the quality stays better with 300 dpi, less qualityloss in MSW.

When I read something like that it makes me think that the appender is missing some basic understanding of what these things mean.   Images that have pixels sizes of  236px x 49px,  488px  x 101px   and 745px x 154px all can be printed at a 300Dpi resolution or any other resolution you care to print at.  All that changes is size and sharpness. Displays on the other hand are run at a single DPI resilution it make no difference what the images print dpi setting is set to.  Displays display all images at their resolution which is much lower then print resolutions so images apear very large on screen. The way to image size is changed on screen  is by software scalling the number of pixels used to display an images.  The pixels you see are not the actuall image's pixel how well the scaled image look on screen depends on two factors how well the software scales the image and how good the display is. Displays  DPI resolutions that range from around 84DPI up to the iPhone 326Dpi small retina display.  Most likely your display DPI resolution is around 100Dpi

To put it an other way the 236px x 49px,  488px  x 101px   and 745px x 154px  images actual pixels would display 2.36" x .49", 4.88" x 1.01" and 7.45" x 1.54" on your 100Dpi display screen and they would print on your printer the following sizes  .786" x  .163",   1.63" x .337" and 2.483" x  .513"  at 300Dpi.

• 11. Re: Logo made in Ps is bit blurry in Microsoft Word
                              charles badland Level 4

Is the final output PDF for primarily screen view?

I don't quite get the screen/MSW connection here.