7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2012 2:59 AM by ExactImage

Correcting daylight fluctuation.

transendental Level 1

HI, my shots are suffering badly from rapid daylight fluctuation.  Is there an effect to automatically correct this? 

Premiere CS5. 

Thanks, Steve.

• 1. Re: Correcting daylight fluctuation.
          shooternz Level 6

What is "rapid daylight fluctuation" ?

(I know what rapid means)

• 2. Re: Correcting daylight fluctuation.
            transendental Level 1

Clouds were passing over the sun causing the daylight to constantly change.

• 3. Re: Correcting daylight fluctuation.
              shooternz Level 6

Sorry...no automatic method to correct that.

• 4. Re: Correcting daylight fluctuation.
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Clouds were passing over the sun causing the daylight to constantly change.

You probably mean Under, because if they were that high to be over the sun, one would not notice it at all.

You have probably shot your scene with auto exposure on, instead of manual exposure. Good lesson for the next shoot.

Now you are in for extensive keyframing with levels, brightness and the like.

• 5. Re: Correcting daylight fluctuation.
                  ExactImage Level 3

Harm Millaard wrote:

You have probably shot your scene with auto exposure on, instead of manual exposure. Good lesson for the next shoot.

Harm, even with manual exposure, when the clouds hide the sun the scene is going get darker, and in fact if anything auto could 'help', though personally I never use auto either

Yes, keyframing lots of changes is something you are going to have to do unless you can make cuts in the appropriate place.  

Knowing the light is changing by the sun being obscured by clouds [Pink Floyd anyone?] means you get a choice of manually fixing it between shots on the day or 'trying' to fix it in post later.  Neither will ever be 100% perfect.

• 6. Re: Correcting daylight fluctuation.
                    transendental Level 1

Yes I suppose to be 'over' the sun the clouds would have to be >93,000,000 miles away, in space!

The shots are interiors, lit with daylight soft boxes against a window.  I had exposed manually for the speakers face, so there isn't even any auto exposure to help me out.  The daylight had been stable all day and this shot had taken a while to set up.  I was under pressure of time to get it done, so when I noticed the daylight fluctuating it was too late and I just had to shoot it.  As an added problem the colour temp also changes when the sun actually peeks out from behind the clouds.

I haven't listened to Obscured by Clouds for ages, so I will listen to that while I'm keyframing; in fact I think I'll probably get through my entire Floyd collection!  I could start in the Syd Barrett era and work through!

Thanks for the help anyway guys!

• 7. Re: Correcting daylight fluctuation.
                      ExactImage Level 3

transendental wrote:

The shots are interiors, lit with daylight soft boxes against a window.  I had exposed manually for the speakers face, so there isn't even any auto exposure to help me out. 

As always, constant light temp inside and changing temp outside always makes it interesting.  Have fun