3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2012 11:13 AM by superianmage1

Changing the Frame Size of a Project from a Previous Version of Premiere

superianmage1

I'm an animator and I use Adobe Premiere Elements to edit my animation clips. I recently upgraded to Premiere Elements 10; for a really long time I have been using the ancient Premiere elements 2.0... The main reason why I upgraded was because I wanted my 1080p animation clips to fit into a 1080p frame size; in 2.0, the largest frame size I could get was 720x480, which made my 1080p animation clips look terrible. I've tested the 1080p animations in Elements 10 and they look great. However...

I have a huge animation project that I started in Premiere Elements 2.0. I need to know how I can change the frame size of the project from 720X480 to 1920x1080 without having to start all over again in a new project. In the general settings of my project, I am unable to change the frame size. If there is a way to do this, it would save me A LOT of time. Thank you.

• 1. Re: Changing the Frame Size of a Project from a Previous Version of Premiere
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, PrE does not all for any direct way to alter the Frame Size of an existing Project. Some users have hacked the PREL (the Project file) in an XML editor, or even NotePad (or similar), and gotten things to work. If one were to try that route, I would ONLY work on a Copy of the PREL, and never the original PREL file.

Now, if your PrE 2.0 PREL will Open in PrE 10, there might be another way, but you might loose so much, that it will be as much work, as starting over. Still, here are the steps:

1. Get a ClipBoard "extender," like ClipMate, and install it. Reboot.
          2. Open your PrE 2.0 Project into PrE 10, and let the program do a conversion.
          3. Save_As, so as to NOT overwrite that original PREL. As you can see, I hate any overwriting of original files.
          4. Now, hit Ctrl+A (Select All) in the Timeline, the Ctrl+C (Copy).
          5. Close that Project, and go to New Project, choosing the correct Project Preset.
          6. In the Timeline, with the CTI (Current Time Indicator/Playhead) at 00;00;00;00, hit Ctrl+V (Paste).
          7. You might be able to get by, just by turning OFF things like Scale to Default Frame Size (if you used that), or similar, and making adjustments to any Keyframed Effects.
          8. As you go, use Save_As and increment the Project's filename for each, should you have to go back.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Changing the Frame Size of a Project from a Previous Version of Premiere
            superianmage1 Level 1

Thanks for the quick response! Unfortunately, ClipMate can't capture the data on the timeline... it says that it's either invalid or filtered by the application profile. Do you know if there's a way to change the settings in PrE 10 to allow ClipMate to capture it? Thank you.

• 3. Re: Changing the Frame Size of a Project from a Previous Version of Premiere
              superianmage1 Level 1

You won't believe this! I just opened up the Prel in Notepad and hacked it! I searched for "720," as I knew it was the original frame size I had in PrE2 and changed the size. I can't believe I just did it. I have no experience with hacking or coding at all.