16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2012 10:30 AM by John T Smith

Best export settings for dvd

dnice423 Level 1

Im sure this question has been answered already but i dont see it anywhere. So what is the best export settings for getting the highest quality from my original footage for making dvd in encore? My original footage is recorded in AVCHD

• 1. Re: Best export settings for dvd
          ExactImage Level 3

Use one fo the MPEG DVD presets, make sure your CUDA is enabled and that 'Use Maximum Render Quality' is set also.     Using CUDA will make the most difference, so if you don't have a supported CUDA card it's time to upgrade

Then adjust the target and max parameters so that your data fits on the disc.

• 2. Re: Best export settings for dvd
            dnice423 Level 1

i dont even know what a cuda card is. Ive seen people say AVI is the best export for a dvd but ive exported before in h.264 & it looked better than AVI in my opinion

• 3. Re: Best export settings for dvd
              ExactImage Level 3

dnice423 wrote:

i dont even know what a cuda card is. Ive seen people say AVI is the best export for a dvd but ive exported before in h.264 & it looked better than AVI in my opinion

Oh.  Well, firstly, is your graphics card made by NVidia?   If not, you don't have CUDA processing.   If it is, check in the Project settings and see if you have Mercury Engine as Software only, or as CUDA accellerated.   If you have the option to use CUDA acceleration then the downscalling will be MUCH better than not using it.  MUCH better.

So, the first thing to do is see what your graphics card is and go from there.

Even so, you'll still end up creating DVD compatible MPEG2, which is one of the presets.

• 5. Re: Best export settings for dvd
                josephs51576386 Level 3

Well depending on what type of AVI file will great affect what your speaking about. If you're using a lossless AVI format than AVI is better than h.264 every single time.

• 6. Re: Best export settings for dvd
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

The people you have seen don't know what they are talking about. There is only ONE legal format for DVD and that is MPEG2-DVD. No AVI, no H.264, and nothing else. EOS (End-of-story).

Second thing to keep in mind is that every conversion from one format to the other will cost quality (unless you use uncompressed or visually lossless) so avoid all conversions as much as possible. You are new here and have limited expertise, so I suggest to use the KISS approach, Keep-It-Stupidly-Simple.

Just use 'File/Adobe Dynamic Link/Send to Encore' and Encore will figure out what needs to be done, far better than the Average Joe can do. If you have gained experience and expertise, there are other ways but you really have to know your stuff to do better than this approach.

• 7. Re: Best export settings for dvd
                    josephs51576386 Level 3

I think what he meant was if you're exporting a master copy then trying to take that copy and make that into DVD. (Video_TS .VOB structure) Surely he didn't mean make a h.264 or .avi based dvd.(Since there is no such thing) But maybe I misunderstood.

• 8. Re: Best export settings for dvd
                      dnice423 Level 1

i appreciate your response & yes i am new here & i do have limited expertise but i do edit music videos which to me seems to be one of the hardest forms of editing in my opinion,so i like to think of myself as more than the average joe. i dont claim to know a lot but trust me ive came a long way & ive only been editing for a year. and like computernovice said im trying to export from PP so i can delete my project. Which leads me to ask if you have any info with my other problem from my earlier discussion about running out of memory please fill me in. so that way i could just import my sequence into encore, like ive done in the past.

• 9. Re: Best export settings for dvd
                        UlfLaursen Level 2

Harm Millaard wrote:

Just use 'File/Adobe Dynamic Link/Send to Encore' and Encore will figure out what needs to be done, far better than the Average Joe can do. If you have gained experience and expertise, there are other ways but you really have to know your stuff to do better than this approach.

I have edited for years, and still use this feature a lot for straight forward jobs - love it.

/Ulf

• 10. Re: Best export settings for dvd
                          dnice423 Level 1

yes this method is the best & its easy as pie & it looks like no quality is lost for it to be on dvd but as i mentioned in my other discussion im faced with a full memory problem & im trying to figure out a way around it. i just now exported my project (football game) using the mpeg dvd preset & the estimated time is 16 hours SMH

• 11. Re: Best export settings for dvd
                            UlfLaursen Level 2

As the project is going on DVD, I take it thst it is not much longer than 2 hrs. and the render time of 16 hrs. seems wild, unless you have a terrible slow processor and limited RAM.

I would try and look at the windows setup too (assuming you are on windows :))

Harm recently posted a link to a "performance setup manual" for windows (don't have the link right here) but I think a search for it could do your PC some good.

Ulf

• 12. Re: Best export settings for dvd
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

In the other thread, which I read but did not respond to, because others had already done that, you showed a serious problem: A system that does not meet minimum requirements and especially in light of your music videos. Typically music videos have many very short clips, lots of changes in images, lots of difficult effects, and even though the timeline is not very long, it is very demanding on the horsepower you have because of the sheer number of short clips and effects.

What is your problem: Only a single (older) internal SATA disk, which has a fill rate of over 80-90% and a single (slow) external disk. I assume the rest of the PC has comparable specs, a slow CPU, limited memory, maybe a non-CUDA video card.

Since SATA is a half-duplex connection and everything, OS, programs, pagefile, media cache, etc. is stored there, you will encounter serious traffic jams, which is aggravated by the high fill rate, which slows down the disk by around 50% and the external is likely only USB2, which is too slow for anything but backups, and add the slow CPU, limited memory, etc. your render times do not strike me as strange. In addition, you probably have not 'tuned' your system as described here: Adobe Forums: Guide for installing and tuning a Vista... which also applies to Win7.

• 13. Re: Best export settings for dvd
                                Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

im trying to export from PP so i can delete my project.

For workflow, you should finish the DVD before you delete the Premiere project/assets. A small tweak to your timeline needed in Encore should be fixed by going back to Premiere. You need more storage.

If you don't go that way, dynamic link is simple, but you'll get roughly the same transcode time. Exporting to MPEG2-DVD will get you the DVD asset and allow you to delete the Premiere project.

1 person found this helpful
                                • 14. Re: Best export settings for dvd
                                  dnice423 Level 1

With limited funds could my problem be solved with buying an extra internal hard drive? because i doubt i will ever do a project that would require this much memory (football games). Would PP reckognize that i have 2 internal drives & apply them correctly? Would i need to install the drive & then reinstall my adobe suite? As far as how my system does with music videos is acceptable for now. my cpu is a AMD phenom II so im assuming thats non CUDA card & i only have 7GB RAM. Ive learned my way around PP & AE pretty well considering ive never edited in my life until a year ago but when it comes to the computer itself & settings & specs i admit its a little above my head. Also if i was to upgrade my CPU, video card & memory would that just basically only speed up performance & rendering time? would it speed up my dynamic link between PP & AE? Once again thanx for your response.

• 15. Re: Best export settings for dvd
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

With limited funds could my problem be solved with buying an extra internal hard drive?

While there will likely be other bottlenecks in the system, that will not be affected by adding a second internal HDD, you WILL see a noticeable improvement.

Once installed properly (and set up in the BIOS), the OS will see the new HDD. It will then be up to you, to allocate your Assets to it.

One good layout would be:

C:\ OS, programs, and likely your Windows Virtual Memory (Page File) *

D:\ Media, Projects, PrPro Scratch Disks

Then, you are at least spreading the I/O load over two physical HDD's. That will improve performance, and even more, when you clean out a lot of "stuff" on your C:\, giving more free-space for the Page File, etc.

Good luck,

Hunt

* The location of the Page File can play a difference in performance, but with only two HDD's, it is probably best to just leave it on C:\, and not worry about it. I would, however, set it to be statically managed, which will give you a few extra CPU cycles, and will allow you to easily defragment the area, where the Page File is located. Also note that with Win7-64, and plenty of installed RAM, the Page File plays a smaller role, than in the 32-bit OS days.

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 16. Re: Best export settings for dvd
                                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>require this much memory

Just a comment to help with future communication... memory is RAM, file storage is on a hard disk

Glossary of Terms http://forums.adobe.com/message/2276441 to help w/communication

My 3 hard drives for video editing are configured as...

1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and ALL program installs (2)

2 - 320Gig data for Win7 paging swap file and video project files

When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,

so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folders and files

3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files (1)

(1) for faster input/output with 4 drives

- use drive 3 for all source files

- use drive 4 for all output files

(2) only 60Gig used, for Win7 & CS5 MC & MS Office & other smaller programs

Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows paging swap file

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

Drive C space http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1007934?tstart=0