Let's dispense with the only two conditions I'll place in this thread for responding to anyone's comment:
1. Don't stand in judgment of my abiding love for Pagemaker 7
2. Don't stand in judgment of my budget
I have to start the thread this way because some of the comments on this board -- years after Adobe first established it -- continue to be so patronizing, heavily judgmental and hyper-critical as to have frequently turned me away from coming here for solutions. You don't get to spend money I don't have. If your solution is conditioned on that, then at a minimum don't be condescending please. I just lost my home to foreclosure and find myself with a PIII computer that is dying, just as I am trying to rewrite my resume and job hunt; so please please be sensitive to my circumstances. If I had the funds I would upgrade every one of my core 3 Adobe programs -- Acrobat 7 Pro, PM7 and InDesign2 -- but until that time, take it as a given that the products I am discussing below are the only options I am in any position to weigh right now.
I currently have four Adobe products
- Pagemaker 7
- InDesign from CS2
- Adobe Type Manager Deluxe
- Acrobat 7 Professional
and they are running under XP Pro on an old PIII Pentium that has chosen this particular moment to exhibit fatal BSOD motherboard errors. I knew this day would come, but this couldn't come at a worse time for me.
The good news is that any new motherboard, memory, CPU et al. that I install in my desktop chassis at this point in history is going to be lightyears advanced from what I've been using and cheap. I have the hardware components lined up and I can perform the rebuild myself (thank God), but . . . oh Pagemaker!
Pagemaker and Acrobat 7 are my two everyday programs. They are as comfortable (and comforting) to me as an old pair of slippers. I use InDesign only when Pagemaker can't handle the (usually very simple) word processing and layout tasks I do on a daily basis.
1. Just how rough of a PM7 ride could I expect to have if -- in addition to new hardware -- I decided to grab a (good business-level) OEM Windows 7 OS package in the 64-Bit version best able to take advantage of USB 3.0 -and- some of the other state-of-the-art motherboard features I will have available to me?
2. I don't import PDFs into PM7, but I do print to my Acrobat 7 Pro out of PM7. Would there be problems with that? How about printing out of PM7 to my physical (USB) printer under Win7?
3. What happens to Adobe Type Manager Deluxe under Windows 7 64-Bit? Would ATM still work to manage my huge collection of Adobe Postscript fonts if I did need to install it? How problematic would the continued enjoyment of my postscript fonts be in a PM7 environment under Windows 7?
(while not technically a Pagemaker question) . . .
4. InDesign CS2. Compatible? Not? Problems?
Thank you everyone and please wish me luck with this. This is an extremely sad time in my life and I'm just trying to work with limited resources and weigh my options. I really do want your comments and I thank you in advance for any guidance that is constructive.