3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2012 9:42 PM by mrjackson

Loading Textures in the Filter Gallery Texturizer

mrjackson Level 1

I created a few seamless tiles in PSD format to be loaded into the Texturizer filter under the Filter Gallery in CS6 on a Windows 7 machine.

In the flyout menu, there is an option to LOAD a new texture. I loaded four or five new ones, but only the last one is visible in the list. From all I can tell, I will always have to load a new texture there to be able to use it. The default textures are always loaded : brick, burlap, canvas & sandstone.

In the plug-ins section of the Preferences, there is a check box for : Show all Filter Gallery Groups and Names. What does that do?

Is there something I am missing that would allow me to add a dozen new textures and make them always accessible in the Texturizer plug-in?

Thanks in advance,

M. Jackson

• 1. Re: Loading Textures in the Filter Gallery Texturizer
          conroy Level 5

mrjackson wrote:

In the plug-ins section of the Preferences, there is a check box for : Show all Filter Gallery Groups and Names. What does that do?

It enables/disables the showing of all filter gallery groups and names.

Look at the Filter menu with the preference unticked. Then tick it and look at the Filter menu again - there will be more submenus of filters which are accessed through the Filter Gallery plug-in.

Is there something I am missing that would allow me to add a dozen new textures and make them always accessible in the Texturizer plug-in?

Unfortunately, you're not missing anything that I know of. The majority of Photoshop's filters need an overhaul to bring them into the 21st century, but I guess that'll always be shoved to the bottom of the "to do" list until Adobe hires a significantly larger Photoshop software development team.

• 2. Re: Loading Textures in the Filter Gallery Texturizer
            JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Looks like its a temporary load of a single PSD file for the current use of the filter gallery. If you exit the filter gallery and then use it right away again the texture you loaded will not be listed.  If you load a second texture it replaces the first one you loaded. The Photoshop textures Brick, Burlap, Canvas and Sanstone seem to be built into the plug-in for I can not find an Adobe files with those file names.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Loading Textures in the Filter Gallery Texturizer
              mrjackson Level 1

Hi JJMack,

At least on my PC, Photoshop is remembering my one and only (last loaded) texture—even after closing PS and reopening it. That's liveable since the main one I wanted was a nice watercolor paper texture. This looks like one of those "Just Do It" requests for CS7.

Many of those filters were part of the old Aldus Gallery Effects plug-ins from the early '90s. They don't seem to have had a lot of attention given to them, though I use them quite a bit.

Thanks again,

M. Jackson