14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2012 8:55 AM by Noel Carboni

Camera Raw 7 extremely slow

Moi 87 Level 1

CR7 is super slow when uploading raw files. For Canon 550D files (20MP), it takes about 10-12 seconds to open one single file.

Adjustements sliders are also too slow. it takes around 6-8 seconds to react (white balance too). So, it's unusable : adjustement sometimes appear after I have already done the next one..

Jpeg are not a problem.Photoshop is not a problem neither.

My computer is not to blame : Dell, i7, 12 GB ram, HD Radeon 4870, etc.

I hope Adobe is aware of the problem and we'll react promptly.

• 1. Re: Camera Raw 7 extremely slow
          tartempion77

My CR7 is also very slow but my configuration is not as good as yours:

video memory :256

video card:AMD 760G

ram :4 giga

CPU:AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 245 Processor

Windows 7 (family 32 bits)

very frequently I have to close Bridge in order to get ACR working after having treated 3 or 4 photos (message saying not enough memory for bridge which is not true If i check it there is free memory avalaible)

• 2. Re: Camera Raw 7 extremely slow
            areohbee Level 6

Do you have the same problem with lossy DNGs?

• 3. Re: Camera Raw 7 extremely slow
              Moi 87 Level 1

Thanks for your reaction, Rob

I don't convert anymore my Canon raws into dng, as i get less sharp images with dng.

Nevertheless, I just did the test for the occasion : also very slow, no change, so not a solution.

• 4. Re: Camera Raw 7 extremely slow
                areohbee Level 6

Thanks for checking .

• 5. Re: Camera Raw 7 extremely slow
                  Noel Carboni Level 7

Moi 87 wrote:

Dell, i7, 12 GB ram, HD Radeon 4870, etc

I hope Adobe is aware of the problem and we'll react promptly.

What i7 model?  How many cores and what clock speed?

I ask because it's easy for questions like this to be confused with performance issues, where they may not be.

Also, for clarity, are you talking about the time it takes to do the actual conversion (i.e., to the point the image is open in Photoshop) or to initially display information in the Camera Raw dialog?

I just tested:  A circa 2007 dual Xeon X5460 3.16 GHz processors (8 cores total) with a Canon EOS-T2i raw image:

• With Photoshop CS6 already running, 1.4 seconds to display image in Camera Raw dialog after dragging and dropping on Photoshop.
                  • 1.6 seconds to open at 16 bits/channel in Photoshop after hitting [Open Image].

-Noel

• 6. Re: Camera Raw 7 extremely slow
                    MR KSB

Expericing the same problems, CR7 is extremly slow and lags on my iMac Quad i7 with 16GB RAM and with a SSD. Just changing the temperature of a CR2 or Tiff makes Bridge lag with about 4-5 seconds.

This must be a software related issue, because if I choose to revert from the 2012 Raw Engine profile to 2010 Raw Engine Profile, everything suddenly runs smoothly within the Camera Raw Editing tools.

But by doing this, I'm basicly just using the CS5 engine again, making CS6 pointless with regards to Camera Raw editing and it's nice new features.

I seriously hope Adobe has this on top priority and will focus on fixing this ASAP, since CR7 is basicily useless with it's horrible slow speed....

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Camera Raw 7 extremely slow
                      toni_22

I think it's a camera raw 7 problem, because people from PC and people from Mac are having slow performance problems. So, Adobe must correct it in camera raw 7.2.

Meanwhile, have you tried to disable the lens correction and chromatic aberration correction in camera raw?

• 8. Re: Camera Raw 7 extremely slow
                        Moi 87 Level 1

Noel, Kim, Toni,

Thank you for taking the time to react.

Noel, it cannot be a pc performance problem, my PC is really sufficient.

Toni, I tried to disable both, no change.

CR 7 is so slow that I have stopped shooting in raw, what is an absurd situation, but if I want to continue working, that's the only solution for the moment.

Lightroom 4 had also performance issues, so I hope Adobe will make a 7.2 update very quickly.

• 9. Re: Camera Raw 7 extremely slow
                          tobylong Level 1

Same problem with my Nehalem Mac Pro system:

Model Name:    Mac Pro

Model Identifier:    MacPro4,1

Processor Name:    Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed:    2.66 GHz

Number Of Processors:    2

Total Number Of Cores:    8

L2 Cache (per core):    256 KB

L3 Cache (per processor):    8 MB

Memory:    32 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed:    6.4 GT/s

Boot ROM Version:    MP41.0081.B07

ATI Radeon HD 4870

• 10. Re: Camera Raw 7 extremely slow
                            AnnShelbourne Level 2

Your ATI Radeon HD 4870 may be the problem?

It appears to have only 256 MB of VRAM?

A card with 1024 MB VRAM would probably make all the difference?

I am using the ATI Radeon HD 5770 (which has 1024 MB of VRAM) and experience no slowness in ACR 7.1 whatsoever — and I often batch process large numbers of images in ACR 7.1.

• 11. Re: Camera Raw 7 extremely slow
                              tobylong Level 1

Thanks for the input. I don't believe upgading the graphics card would affect things very much. CS3 runs fine. The card has 512 mb VRAM. What system are you using?

• 12. Re: Camera Raw 7 extremely slow
                                MR KSB Level 1

I'm running on a AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 mb VRAM, and am experiencing the problem as the others - so must be something else which is faulty

• 13. Re: Camera Raw 7 extremely slow
                                  Moi 87 Level 1

Thanks for your reaction, Kim. It seems that a camera raw update will be soon released (already as a candidate in Labs), but I fear it's only a new camera models support update. Will next update be concentrated on performance ? Let's hope that will be the case. Allo, Adobe, do you hear us ?

• 14. Re: Camera Raw 7 extremely slow
                                    Noel Carboni Level 7

Moi 87 wrote:

Thanks for your reaction, Kim. It seems that a camera raw update will be soon released (already as a candidate in Labs), but I fear it's only a new camera models support update. Will next update be concentrated on performance ? Let's hope that will be the case. Allo, Adobe, do you hear us ?

Y'know, you *could* actually test the 7.2 release candidate yourself.  It's possible that if you were to tell Adobe that it doesn't run right they'd still have time to fix it.

Unlikely, but possible.

-Noel