6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2012 10:46 AM by Greg Baber

So... Mountain Lion

Jim Curtis Level 3

Working with a test partition and Pr for a couple of days now.  So far...  Pr has been solid, and I've experienced no Serious Errors!  Yay!

Otherwise...  Ae crashes too much, a few Ae plugs lost authorizations, and I get quite a few spinning beach balls that don't end in crashes, just delays. 

Several other non-Adobe apps lost their authorization.  Some were easy to re-authorize, and I'm still working on some others.  Mountain Lion overall seems faster on some things, slower on others.

I wish Apple would perfect an OS before they move on to an "upgrade."  Most of the new ML synching functions are lost on me, as I'm not an Apple customer, outside of the MacPro and MBP.

But, my limited experience so far is that Pr is GREATLY improved in terms of overall snappiness and stability, at this early point in my testing on a real job.

I did have one Ae linked Comp that wouldn't link.  That's a bad thing.

I've only run a few other Adobe apps on ML, and I can say is that Ai didn't crash while I was using it.  But, Ps won't open my important DVD label template and several other mostly recent PSD files ("Strtable error"  What?).  I still have PS5.5 installed, so at least I'm not out of business.  But, I have serious concerns about Ps and ML at this point.  Something's rotten.

Overall, ML seems to exhibit typical Apple dot-oh OS problems.  Usually, x.4 is when they start to look dependable.  This version will likely be no exception, based on past performance... but, I'd like to be wrong.

Since this is the Pr forum, the bottom line is that this OS seems, in my short experience, a worthwhile upgrade for Pr.

What remains to be seen, for me at this point, is whether the cons outweigh the pros.  My plan is to stay booted into ML this week, and see what else I can break.

If you'd care to share your experiences, I will read them.

MacPro3,1, 10.8 partition for this post, Quadro 4000 wCuda updates and NO additional nVidia driver installed, 32G RAM, CS6 all updates, ATTO R680 SAS RAID5 (up to and over 2GB/s reads)

• 1. Re: So... Mountain Lion
          BEL Eiendom AS Level 1

Hei

I used this forum some days ago with a problem which was solved :

BEL Eiendom AS

Poor playback from timeline....after a while - Cs6

Jul 23, 2012 6:52 AM

Hei

I have an updated version of Premier cs6 on my new MacbookPro 17", meaning I use the Mercury GPU option.

Mac: OS10.7.4 2.4GHz Intel Core i7 8GB RAM

When I start playing footage on the timeline for the first time everything plays without droped frames.

The indicator is green.

But as soon as I start doing anything on the timeline: cuts,disolves,effects etc. playback gets poorer an poorer, and the indicator turns yellow.

This also effects playback of the media which is untouched.

I have tried with diferent kinds of media, from standard DV to AVCHD 720p and 1080p and DVCPROHD 1080 i

When I save the project, shut down PP6 and open the project again the playback is perfect - until I start doing something on the timeline,

then it starts slowing down again. I have used both the internal and an external harddrive: exactly the same reult.

Can anybody help me ?

Regards

Bjorn

a lot of answers, but none of them solved the problem, then :

Problem solved :

I installed OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and after that PP6 runs perfect. I have loaded tons of effects and adjustments on my timeline and it plays at full resolution exept for some of the most demanding effects, but as soon as it passes these parts it plays normal again, full resolution without dropping frames.

Hope this was of interesse

Bjorn

• 2. Re: So... Mountain Lion
            ExactImage Level 3

I'd also like to add that I have ML instaled now and so far...... no crashes from Pr, running on both MacPro with GTX285 (with CUDA enabled) and MBP with 6770 (Open_CL enabled).   Both of these machines would crash repeatedly under Lion.

I'll let you know if anything changes.

• 3. Re: So... Mountain Lion
              jasonvp Level 3

Jim Curtis wrote:

Working with a test partition and Pr for a couple of days now.  So far...  Pr has been solid, and I've experienced no Serious Errors!  Yay!

I haven't used it enough yet, but so far: no crashes either.  I am still stumbling along with piss-poor AVCHD playback in the Program Monitor.  The audio will play perfectly, but the video won't.  I'll either get green screens, red screens, or just a frozen image.

None of this happens with 5.5.2, for what it's worth.  And it's the same AVCHD inputs, too.

But, I have serious concerns about Ps and ML at this point.  Something's rotten.

Interesting.  I was regularly running into one problem with PS CS6 under Lion, and that was Bridge crashing whenever it had to hand a raw image off to Camera RAW.  I could repeat it at will.  A new install under ML seems to have (hopefully?) fixed that.

Overall, ML seems to exhibit typical Apple dot-oh OS problems.  Usually, x.4 is when they start to look dependable.  This version will likely be no exception, based on past performance... but, I'd like to be wrong.

Given they're on annual release cycles now, let's hope it doesn't take till .4 this time around.

FWIW, the video drivers in ML have been overhauled fairly dramatically, specifically for the nVidia cards.  nVidia and Apple have finally kissed and made up, and Apple is now including built-in driver support for almost all of nVidia's consumer and professional cards.

jas

• 4. Re: So... Mountain Lion
                Jim Curtis Level 3

I spoke too soon.  I loaded up Pr under ML this AM, imported a h.264 movie, double-clicked it, then Serious Error.

However... I forced Quit (which I recommend when getting the Serious Error instead of clicking OK - faster), relaunched and went back to work for a while. 

Then Ae started acting up, so I booted back into Lion.  I have work to do.  Can't be a beta tester for Adobe right now.

Anyway... sorry if I gave a false impression that ML fixed anything with Pr.

ML also seems to seriously screw with the new Disk Caching feature in Ae.  So, Ae and Ps are a no-go.  Back to Lion.

• 5. Re: So... Mountain Lion
                  needles27 Level 3

That's very disappointing to hear.  I was about to make the change, but since I spend a lot of time in Ae and now it seems like ML doesn't provide a cure to Pr, I will wait and see how things shake out.

Thanks for testing.

• 6. Re: So... Mountain Lion
                    Greg Baber Adobe Employee

If you are having difficulty with AVCHD footage that works in CS5.5, please submit a bug report -- https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Also, Mountain Lion did make some significant changes for Premiere Pro.  If you are having difficulties since upgrading, please post a separate thread in the forums so we can determine what is the issue.  Follow the guidelines we set here  - http://forums.adobe.com/thread/961741?tstart=0.