8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2012 1:08 PM by HakanErn

Flow for PS to AI and back

HakanErn Level 1

Hi,

I make pictures showing signlanguage signs.

I first record a video of the sign in Premiere Pro, then get take one or more frames from PP

Save as Jpg

Open in PhotoShop

Make some adjustments

...and then: I need to draw one or several good arrows showing the direction of the hands in that sign.

For this it seems as Illustrator is better than PS, but what is the best way i terms of formats etc to do exports / imports in a good way?

I need to keep the original picture size.

I have not found any instructions covering this, but it might be there, somewere...

Thanks in advance,

Håkan

• 1. Re: Flow for PS to AI and back
          BenjaminMarkus Level 4

How do you record into Premiere Pro?  You mean you use a camera and edit in Premiere Pro?  Are you synthesizing the images in Photoshop?  Do you just want to know how to import and export images in between PS and AI?  I'm sorry, but I'm a little confused by your question(s)?

• 2. Re: Flow for PS to AI and back
            HakanErn Level 1

I ´m sorry for not being precise. Since english is not my native tounge, my writing sometimes might not make sense.

Also, my software is in swedish, hence a problem somtimes to call the different tools by their correct english name.

Here is what I do:

I film the signing in HDV 1080. From PremierPro i grab the frame(s) I want for a specific sign, save as .jpg

I open the jpg in Photoshop CS6. Sometimes I use the picture as it is, sometimes I edit it.

To show the direction of the hands in that particular sign, I need to draw one or more arrows. There are functions to do this in Photoshop, but sometimes Illustrator provides better options.

In which format should the Photoshop image be saved to be able to open in best way in Illustrator, and what format is best uses to send it back to Photoshop. I need it to be a jpg.

I can import the jpg directly to AI, but then there is no way of saving it as a jpg.

I am not a very skilled user in these softewares, but I hope even I can get this to work, with some help...

regards,

Håkan

• 3. Re: Flow for PS to AI and back
              Noel Carboni Level 8

I don't use Illustrator, but I have always heard that the Photoshop "native" PSD format is usable for transferring information between applications.  Have you tried PSD?

-Noel

• 4. Re: Flow for PS to AI and back
                Level 5

As Noel says, work with PSD files.

JPEG is a lossy (in my opinion cr@ppy) format.  You should wait until you are totally done editing your image before converting a copy as your final output in JPEG format.

• 5. Re: Flow for PS to AI and back
                  HakanErn Level 1

Hi, and thanks for advice both of you!

I will try the psd.

What format do you recommend to save frames from premiere pro?

• 6. Re: Flow for PS to AI and back
                    BenjaminMarkus Level 4

I'm pretty sure it's not possible to export PSDs from Preimiere Pro, but you can use other lossless formats.  Try TIFF, they are big but the quality is excellent.  PNGs are a bit smaller, but the quality is till fantastic.  What camera are you shooting your video on?  If you're asking a workflow question, I can say that it would most likely be much easier on your part to cut premiere out of the entire process.  If you have access to any DSLR that shoots RAW you can take multiple pictures on fast shutter speeds of the sign so you don't get any motion blur, or slow shutter speeds if you want blur, and the quality will be a thousand times better than anything filmed in HDV 1080.   You can even ask your signers to move slowly for the photographs so you can get all of the positions of the hands when you're taking your pictures.  That way you don't have to worry about capture and storage of all that video.  Plus, if you're working with RAW images you can maintain all of the image imformation, take it directly to the RAW editor in Photoshop, adjust exposure and whatever else, save to PSD and go anywhere from there.  And yes, Illustrator accepts Photoshop files and could be better for drawing arrows.  Here's a tutorial on all the ways of drawing arrows in illustrator.

http://kb2.adobe.com/community/publishing/523/cpsid_52361.html

• 7. Re: Flow for PS to AI and back
                      BenjaminMarkus Level 4

I almost forgot, another reason to cut Premiere out of the workflow is that you can import your video frames directly into Photoshop and save a whole step.  Go to File - Import - Video Frames to Layers.  Select the layers you want to keep and export those as PSDs for work in Illustrator.

• 8. Re: Flow for PS to AI and back
                        HakanErn Level 1

BenMarkus, thanks for your input! It sounds like I could enhance more than just the flow

The reason for using the video is that the main part of the projects always is videos of signs, so the videos have to be made anyway, and the images is more made for thumbnails and small printed charts. However, I see a loss in qualite when printing, so I will definitly try your suggestions. It is overall a better idea to take photographs of the signs, it is easier to find the correct angels, but we are talking 1000+ signs and it would take so much more time. I have noted the flow you suggest, and am very greatful for this help!

It is mainly ability to make the drawings by hand in Illustrator that is of interest, since the software makes the lines better, than in Photoshop. I have tried to use the 3D to draw arrows too, but I am too limited in my knowledge to succed. It is a large problem to make the arrows show in-out directions (hand moving towards the body or move out from it or in a diagonal). I use sequenses from premiere, and cut out arms and the try to mount them in the picture to show position at start and in end and then with an arrow "explain" the path.

Takes a lot of time...

In the first sign language book in Sweden from 1908, this was solved by three or four persons standing behind each other in a very tight row (the one with longest arms preferbly standing last!), streching out their respective hand in succesive order to show the correct path of the "original" hand in certain signs. So there were foure people trying to hide their heads and show their hands in each such picture... 100 years of development has made it easier, but the way to solve the issue is fairly equal!

/Håkan