3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2012 4:31 PM by Greg Baber

Huge AVCHD multicam project for Premiere: quick turnaround, best workflow, tips welcome

Internet Jones

Hey all,

I've been primarily an FCP user who is now setting up a PC-based CS6 operation (sound familiar?).

I've used CS5 here and there for really quick native h264 mov or AVCHD projects (2-min shorts).

HOWEVER! Now comes the test. Here is what I am looking to do:

Shoot an 8-day multicam music festival (3xAF100). About 6 hours of footage per night (2hr per cam). I aim to deliver after 14 days.

Each finished video (~24 of them) will be between 30 and 40 minutes, comprised of those three AVCHD clips.

I guess the big question is: If I have a capable, dedicated PC (no matrox or anything), will I be able to multicam AVCHD clips of this size without the PC/Premiere exploding? It's all going to be 720p30 (thankfully), headed for broadcast, so that's something. This is not something I would want to be transcoding, then re-compressing as h264 for delivery. Working natively is the reason I've switched over after all.

I've read a couple of comments on boards here and there with complaints about either video or audio of AVCHD clips continuing to 'conform' after import for long periods of time.

Alternately I was going to go DCVPROHD with 2xHPX170 and 1xHVX200 because it feels like a much safer bet... but this event will be shot in a dark bar with OK lighting and I can get a much nicer image with the AF100s w/nikon glass. PLUS, getting over 2 hours of record time on P2 per camera may be more than I can source.

Thanks for any help, advice in this matter!