6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2012 2:29 PM by conroy

File compatibility setting in Pref. / composite thumbnail

JeffN3 Level 1

I would like photoshop to show a file image for the thumbnail (instead the generic lines of type). I know in the pref box I can set the "Maximize File compatibility" to "Always" or Ask, and this will save a flattened version of the file as part of the document. But this greatly increased the file size. I did some checking on 10 layered files ranging from 14Mb to 45Mb. The new file size increased a whopping 35% to 88%. That's a heavy price to pay  both on my system here, our back up / archive, CD / DVD burning, and our client systems.

I'm in the process of putting together a browser based image library. To render a image thumbnail it shows the generic lines of type if layered (useless), and a image thumbnail only if "File compatibility" is set to Yes. ( Which greatly increases file size, and cost of storage space).

Is there a way to get a image thumbnail without having to set Maximize File Compatibility to Yes?

It would seem to me that photoshop should be able to create a small, low res flattened version, at a low quality setting, that would be on the kb in size for a thumbnail. And imbed that into the file, vs the bloated composite. I understand the reason for the composite for file compatibailty with previous versions etc. Just not for creating the thumbnail.

I'm hoping some else has more info that I don't.

thanks all...

JeffN

• 1. Re: File compatibility setting in Pref. / composite thumbnail
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

And the Prefernces > File Handling > File Saving Options > Image Previews settings have no effect?

• 2. Re: File compatibility setting in Pref. / composite thumbnail
            Noel Carboni Level 8

JeffN3 wrote:

...To render a image thumbnail it shows the generic lines of type if layered (useless)...

Can you please be more specific about what "it" is in this context?

What process / application are you using to create these thumbnails?

-Noel

• 3. Re: File compatibility setting in Pref. / composite thumbnail
              JeffN3 Level 1

Noel,

Here are two screen captures that show what the "it" is when I'm referring to the generic lines of type that Photoshop uses for a thumbnail on a layered document.

"It" refers to the thumbnail that the Mac OS generates or shows in the "preview" in the finder. Don't know that the OS generates the thumbnail or just uses what Photoshop provides. First screen capture is from the DAM library I'm using. The second is from the Mac finder window.

lines.jpgpreview.jpg

c.pfaffenbichler

Photoshop Pref > File Handling > File Saving Options is set to:

Image Previews: Always Save, Icon, Windows Thumbnail

Which is why I'm surprised that I don't get an image thumbnail (not the generic lines on a layered file).

What's the purpose of this setting if not to generate a thumbnail of the image.

JeffN

• 4. Re: File compatibility setting in Pref. / composite thumbnail
                Noel Carboni Level 8

I'm pretty sure it's the Mac OS that generates Finder thumbnails.

From what I gather, what you're asking for is a thumbnail generation process in the OS that takes into account the Photoshop layered document format and generates proper composited thumbnails for files not saved with the Maximize Compatibility option.

That's not trivial to implement, though I do know that on the PC side codec makers like the folks that make the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack have managed to do it.

This may be normal and expected for the Mac operating system.

-Noel

• 5. Re: File compatibility setting in Pref. / composite thumbnail
                  JeffN3 Level 1

Noel,

that's what I'm guessing. I know that the OS will show an image thumbnail if the Maximize Compatibility option is set to yes. Photoshop then creates a flattened version of the layered psd and includes it in the file data, that's what the OS uses. If the composite info is not available all you get is the generic lines of type. As I said: useless. The DAM (Digital Asset Management) system that I'm using also appears to pull the useless lines of type if a composite image data is not available. The big But.... is the fact that when you select the Maximize Compatibility, the file size balloons by 35% to 88%!! . When you talking about hundreds or thousands of files on a hard drive, that's a lot of additional storage space just to show a image thumbnail.

Not being a coder and therefore I maybe speaking foolishness, I would think that Adobe would have (by now) written code to create a small compressed jpeg to add to the data for the thumbnail. They could leave the full size composite for what is intended (to be compatible with older versions of Photoshop).

I was hoping there was a solution that I wasn't aware of.

jeffN

• 6. Re: File compatibility setting in Pref. / composite thumbnail
                    conroy Level 5

Jeff,

The wording in Preferences > File Handling may have misled you. It says "Image Previews" in connection with creating a file icon despite a file's icon having nothing to do with Finder's preview.

Screen shot 2012-07-30 at 21.39.32.png

With OS X Photoshop, as long as the preference to create icon is enabled, an icon is generated from the visible composite of the document and is attached to the PSD file (not actually embedded in the file) regardless of the Maximum Compatibility setting. Finder will display the icon.

Screen shot 2012-07-30 at 22.19.25.png

However, Max Compat has to be enabled for a composite to be stored in the PSD, and it is that composite which Finder reads to generate its preview.

Screen shot 2012-07-30 at 21.49.42.png

Screen shot 2012-07-30 at 21.50.29.png

At least that's the case for 8-bit per channel PSD.