2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2012 4:22 AM by Russ Ward

Syntax errors with ES freeze/hang FM

Russ Ward Level 4

Hi,

I keep bumping into situations where a small syntax error causes FM to freeze, like there is a modal dialog open except there is no dialog. For example:

doc = app.ActiveDoc();

...this is wrong because of the parenthesis, but rather than throwing any errors, FM just freezes and I can't get it unfrozen, except to kill it with the Task Manager. Is there a way to prevent this freeze or at least thaw it out? It's becoming tiresome to restart FM and reset locks, etc. with every little typo.

Thanks,

Russ

• 1. Re: Syntax errors with ES freeze/hang FM
          Wiedenmaier Level 3

Hi Russ,

I think this won't help you, but I can reproduce this with app.ActiveDoc() and app.ActiveBook().

With other properties I get a correct runtime error "app.AutoBackup() is not a function".

So generally it works as expected, but not in these two cases.

I think this is a problem of the script engine in these two cases. Perhaps there's an invisible (private) method defined, which is used internally, I don't know.

Bye

Markus

• 2. Re: Syntax errors with ES freeze/hang FM
            Russ Ward Level 4

Markus, thanks. I guess the answer is that there is no answer, other than to get a little bit smarter. I get freezes with other actions, especially when (inadvertently) using invalid objects for various things.

Patient: "It hurts when I do this..."

Doctor: "Don't do that."

Russ