4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2012 1:44 PM by Steve Werner

Editing paths

community help Level 1

This question was posted in response to the following article: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-6c10a.h tml

• 1. Re:  Editing paths
          sarracenia

I cannot move anchor points of a selected object.  When the object is selected and I use the direct selection tool to move an anchor point, it just moves the entire object. 

If the object is not selected I can use the direct selection tool and move an anchor point, but to use this approach requires continually deselecting the object first, which is time consuming. (CS5)

• 2. Re:  Editing paths
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It would help to understand what you're trying to do. Are you trying to edit the shape of a path?

Whenever you have an object selected with the Selection tool, you can't edit the individual points of the path. You have to deselect (Cmd-Shift-A/Ctrl-Shift-A) and switch to the Direct Selection tool (press A). Click on the edge of the path so you see the hollow anchor points, click on the ones you want to affect, and move them.

This is the way it has always worked, and is the same in Adobe Illustrator and in Adobe Photoshop.

Perhaps I'm not understanding your problem. If so, can you explain it more fully, and perhaps provide a screen shot.

• 3. Re:  Editing paths
              sarracenia Level 1

Thanks Steve.  Yes, I'm trying to move an anchor point to edit the shape of a path. 

In Illustrator I can move an anchor point if the object is already selected (click anchor point with direct select tool until cursor changes to the black mini-arrow -- not sure what it's called).  I seem to think that Indesign used to allow this but perhaps I'm mistaken.

• 4. Re:  Editing paths
                Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Not in InDesign. Illustrator is designed around path editing, for obvious reasons.