4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2012 10:54 AM by raeben3

Maintaining tags when revising document content

Mexican Sage

I created a 508 compliant tagged document in Adobe Acrobat Pro. (I couldn't find any tagging help in my authoring document, Word 7 for Mac).

I now need to update my document with a revision. When I export it back to my authoring software, I loose all of my tags. How can I update my doc without loosing my tags?

• 1. Re: Maintaining tags when revising document content
          CtDave Level 5

An export of PDF is of the page content only. How it 'lands' in the file formate being exported to is facilitated by the structure tree of tags/element (if present) in the PDF.

However, the structure tree exist independently from the PDF page content; so, it cannot/will not be exported.

You'll have to make edits in the authoring file and output a new, tagged PDF. Then post-process with Acrobat Pro.

No way around that.

btw —

For those who need to or desire to provide accessible PDF the ISO standard PDF/UA-1 is a "must have" reference.
          --| The ISO Standard for PDF/UA (ISO 14289-1:2012). Available at the ANSI web store.

Other documents that are pending release are:

--| PDF/UA-1 Technical Implementation Guide

--| PDF/UA-1 Technical Implementation Guide: 32000-1
          (ISO 32000-1 is the current ISO Standard for PDF)

--| Achieving WCAG 2.0 with PDF/UA (WCAG 2.0 for PDF is PDF/UA)

The latter three documents are expected to be available on AIIM's web site.

Be well...

Message was edited by: CtDave

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Maintaining tags when revising document content
            Mexican Sage Level 1

Thank you CTDave!

I was afraid that was the answer. Do you know whether Office 7 for the PC is sufficient to tag a document or should I invest in Office 10?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Maintaining tags when revising document content
              CtDave Level 5

Office 7 (2007) won't cut it.

Office 10 (2010) has robust authoring support for mastering content intended to provide tagged output PDF.

Be well...

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Maintaining tags when revising document content
                raeben3 Level 3

You can make minor text edits in a tagged PDF right in Acrobat Professional using the Edit Document Text tool. If your changes only affect a few pages, you could revise individual pages in Word and then insert those pages into the tagged PDF without losing the tags. I've used both methods numerous times with success.