3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2012 6:11 PM by John T Smith

What you think of this workstation

kingdomofsolomon Level 1

Hi every one, I would like to get some advice of laptop workstation for video editing and after effect projects files.

Do you think that

HP Elitebook 8770w Mobile Workstation

4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM

500 GB 7200 rpm SATA II

AMD FirePro™ M4000 (1 GB dedicated GDDR5)

Or this Workstation

HP EliteBook 8560w Mobile Workstation

• Genuine Windows® 7 Professional (64-bit)
      • Intel® Core™ i7-2860 QM Processor
      • 8GB Memory
      • 750GB  Hard drive
      • 39.6cm,15.6" HD Display
      • NVIDIA Quadro 2000M graphics 2GB
      • Wireless, Bluetooth, Webcam , DVD+/-RW

with it handle the randreing of HD and 4K footages in AE & PR?

Thank you

• 1. Re: What you think of this workstation
          RjL190365 Level 4

Neither of those two laptops is anywhere near powerful enough for 4K (and barely powerful enough for ordinary HD), unfortunately. (If you take look at the results list on the PPBM5 site, you will find that the fastest mobile-CPU-equipped laptop on the list is more than three times slower than a fast desktop PC in terms of the Relative Performance Index, or RPI.) The first laptop listed should be eliminated (as equipped) due to its insufficient amount of RAM and a GPU that cannot utilize MPE GPU acceleration at all. And since you did not list a CPU for the 8770w, I would have to assume that it has only a dual-core i5 CPU based on the lesser specs of that configuration. And based on my testing, no dual-core CPU - not even a desktop dual-core CPU - performs as fast as even a mediocre-performing quad-core CPU in CS5 or CS6.

The 8560w configuration, on the other hand, is slightly older, and it still delivers a poor bang for the buck.

So, if you were to custom-configure that 8770w, go with only a CPU whose model number ends in "QM" or "XM", one of the Quadros (the FirePro cannot utilize MPE GPU acceleration at all, and thus permanently locking CS6 to the software-only mode) and 16GB of RAM (yes, laptops really need all that RAM just to perform anywhere near as well as even a "budget"-class desktop). Also, you will need more than one fast hard drive just to run Premiere Pro to anyone's satisfaction (since all mobile hard drives use the SATA connection that cannot transfer in both directions simultaneously - they can only transfer in one direction at a time, but editing requires simultaneous bi-directional transfers).

• 2. Re: What you think of this workstation
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here is what might work, a customized (by HP) EliteBook 8760w, note that this includes a 10-bit HP DreamColor screen and a Quadro 5010M.  I did not consider the third generation CPU equipped HP 8770W, the literature on the HP site says that it is available with nVidia or AMD/ATI graphics but when you custom configure the only option is AMD/ATI. 

Now if you hurry up and buy this before the end of August they are offering a 20 % discount.

HP-EliteBook-8760w.jpg

Now if you really want a laptop guaranteed to handle your data I would strongly advise talking to Eric at ADK to see what he can do for you.