4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2012 11:24 AM by aldjlaidjflaewifjla

Differences between ADOBE PREMIERE CS4 and CS6

keith888 Level 1

Hi guys,

In the office we have Adobe Premiere CS4 and the manager here wants to get me onto a Premiere course so we can do some video editing but as expected,

these training establishments are upgrading to CS6.

My question is, how much difference is there in terms of functionality and performance between the 2?

If there isn't that much in terms of how to use the respective applications then there won't be a problem going on this course

but there is a worry that if I do go on a CS6 course then I might struggle if I go back to using the older version etc.

I have asked some of these training establishments in advance and their opinions vary. Some say that we really should upgrade

another one emailed me back saying that there was no real difference between the 2 in the way they are used etc with the menus and functionality.

I just need to be clear on this.

Thanks in advance.

br

• 1. Re: Differences between ADOBE PREMIERE CS4 and CS6
          Jim_Simon Level 8

how much difference is there in terms of functionality and performance between the 2?

Enough that you should seriously consider upgrading.

For starters, CS6 is a 64 bit program, CS4 is still a 32 bit program.  This contributes a LOT to the performance and stability improvements of CS6.  When you also consider that CS6 has hardware acceleration for a lot of effects and processing, the new Adjustment Layers feature, and the dozens of other improvements, it really becomes a no-brainer.

You need to upgrade.  In fact, it's such a good idea that if money is an issue, I'd say the company is actually better off speding it on an upgrqade and having you read the Help file for instructions than paying for your classes and making you use CS4.   CS6 really is that much better.

• 2. Re: Differences between ADOBE PREMIERE CS4 and CS6
            SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

While I certainly agree there are many benefits to upgrading to CS6, the user's PC must be taken into consideration. System requirements for CS6 can be found here - http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.edu.html

If someone has an old Windows XP 32-bit system with 2GB or 4GB and a slower (old) processor, which could be the case if still running CS4, then it's not a simple matter of just upgrading Adobe - the system hardware and OS may need upgrades or replacement. The "hardware acceleration" benefit mentioned requires specific, recent nVidia cards, also probably not in the CS4 system.

Also, what are the user's needs? Sounds like they are just dabbling in video around the office and are not video producers. Could be working with DV footage for all we know.

Keith888, please let us know more about your system and what cameras/footage you intend to work with.

In regards to the original question, CS4 and CS6 will have a very similar look and feel as far as basic editing and getting around in the software. That said, are these expensive specialty classes or a community college-type course? There are plenty of online and DVD training resources available to consider as well.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor

• 3. Re: Differences between ADOBE PREMIERE CS4 and CS6
              Jim_Simon Level 8

the system hardware and OS may need upgrades or replacement.

Agreed.  But my view stands.  It's much better to upgrade to CS6 (including hardware and OS if needed) and find some free instruction than to spend money on classes and use CS4.

• 4. Re: Differences between ADOBE PREMIERE CS4 and CS6
                aldjlaidjflaewifjla Level 1

Jim Simon wrote:

the system hardware and OS may need upgrades or replacement.

Agreed.  But my view stands.  It's much better to upgrade to CS6 (including hardware and OS if needed) and find some free instruction than to spend money on classes and use CS4.

I totally agree with this. Also, there are so many free tutorials available on Creative Cow and other sites, the "paid for" training is kind of a waste of money. Don't get me wrong, I've used Total Training and Lynda.com and they are great, but if funds are low you can get good training for free if you look hard enough.