5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2012 12:28 PM by the_wine_snob

Problems with Videomerge

ParadoxProduction Level 1

I've been having problems getting the videomerge effect to work. I have several clips that are on a black background. Usually, clips on a solid bankground are prompted to add the effect, which it is not telling me. Also, I've tried using the eyedropper tool, and it still doesn't remove the black, even after adjusting the tolerance. I can't seem to get anything to work. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I am running Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7 if that helps.

• 1. Re: Problems with Videomerge
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Hard to say exactly what's going wrong when we don't know exactly what you're doing, Paradox.

I'm not sure what you mean by "clips on a solid bankground are prompted to add the effect, which it is not telling me." You can also manually apply Videomerge by selecting it in the Effects panel or by right-clicking on the clip and selecting the Videomerge option.

Are you putting your clip that you want to remove the background from on Video 2 and the new background on Video 1, directly below it on the timeline?

Again, any details -- or even better a screen capture image -- can help us help you.

• 2. Re: Problems with Videomerge

Sorry about the vague description. I'll try to describe it the best I can. The clip I was referring to is a pre created muzzle flash video on a black background, which of course I'm trying to remove the black background from. My main video is on Video 1, the muzzle flash being on Video 2, making Video 1 the new background. I have tried manually applying the Videomerge effect, but still no luck. I also tried using another Jpeg image of a muzzle flash, on a black background, which didnt work either, even after appplying the effect.

Usually, Premiere Elements automatically detects if a video or picture is on a solid background color, and a box appears asking if I want to apply the videomerge effect automatically. This didn't appear for either footage that I used.

I don't understand why it isn't working now, especially since the videomerge effect has worked perfectly for me in the past. Is it because its on a black background?

Hopefully this helps.

• 3. Re: Problems with Videomerge
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I wonder if the ChromaKey Effect will get you what you want. Just Key out the black, and test.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Problems with Videomerge

With a little tweaking, the ChromaKey effect did end up working, thanks for the help!

• 5. Re: Problems with Videomerge
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news!

Premiere often offers several ways to do something. Depending on the Source Footage, and also on what one wants to do, another workflow might yield better results.

Good luck and happy editing,

Hunt