3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2012 2:32 PM by Daniel Flavin

Opinions Solicited: Best way to organize InDesign Folder (Id + Attachment Files)?

Obenreizer Level 1

Currently, I have a single folder that contains an ID document and about thirty supporting files (including eps graphic files, a logo, and ISBN barcode). Should I have to switch computers, I would like to be able to move "the entire lot" without a loss of links, etc.  I don't know if there are technical/strategic reasons to use subfolders, or organize the materials in yet other ways.

I am interested to know how the experts organize their material.  Ideas and/or recommendations?

• 1. Re: Opinions Solicited: Best way to organize InDesign Folder (Id + Attachment Files)?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

As long as  all the links are in the same folder or a subfolder of the same folder as the .indd file and you move the entire folder ID will find the links. If it can find the OLD location, it will use those, though, rather thatn the ones you moved, if you leave the old ones behind, so be careful.

THis is how packaging a file for passing off to a service provider is able to work. All links are pointers to  absolute locations, but if ID is unable to find that location, or the link is not there, ID then seraches the current folder and subfolders for files with the same name as missing links.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Opinions Solicited: Best way to organize InDesign Folder (Id + Attachment Files)?
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

That’s fine. And if you put them in a Dropbox folder you can work on any machine you want.

That’s what I do when I know I’m going to be using more than one computer.

Bob

• 3. Re: Opinions Solicited: Best way to organize InDesign Folder (Id + Attachment Files)?
              Daniel Flavin Level 4

Eventually, one or more, but not all of those assets - logos, vectors, pictures - are going to be used in a seperate document, possibly for the same customer, possibly not. This is where a unique folders become necessay.

If the logo were updated in the future, and subject for use in a seperate document, keep the logo in a seperate folder.  (example: The logo is used in a customers letterhead file, envelope file, business card & sales material.)

If the project uses perhaps the Facebook logo, such a logo would be used for various clients, various projects. These logo's I keep in generic Graphics folder. The glitch - many of these update from time to time. (The Chevrolet bowtie made a slight change recently). You have to decide whether to use obsolete assets and maintain the integrity of a piece over time, or use the identities current image.

My document folders I keep sparce; I want to find the InDesign file quickly and a few support folders; Links & Docs (supplied doc's I won't need after initial composition typically)

Capture.JPG