5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2012 7:12 PM by conroy

Magic Wand won't select CS5.5 OSX

adobekilledourindustry

Was working on a file that is very intricate, going back and forth with shortcuts from the wand (W) to the eyedropper (I) and I must of hit something because now my magic wand won't select any of the fine details in my file, when I click it selects the whole artboard, no matter what layer I have selected.

Restarted and trashed pref with no help. Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

I am on OSX

• 1. Re: Magic Wand won't select CS5.5 OSX
          charles badland Level 4

With CS5 and previous PS versions, the Magic Wand sample area is set using the Eyedropper Tool (thankfully that has changed in CS6).

So try setting the sample area in the Eyedropper Tool lower, like 3x3 or so, and that should make the MW Tool behave better.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Magic Wand won't select CS5.5 OSX
            adobekilledourindustry Level 1

Solved my own problem. In all my shortcutting madness I must of hit "Q" and the file went into Quick Mask mode, which made selections non existent. Took quick mask off and now its working like it should.

In old versions this used to turn your screen pink. Not sure why Adobe thought it would be smart to take that feature out, but thank you Adobe, I just wasted an hour of my life trying to figure out WTF happened.....

• 3. Re: Magic Wand won't select CS5.5 OSX
              conroy Level 5

adobekilledourindustry wrote:

Solved my own problem. In all my shortcutting madness I must of hit "Q" and the file went into Quick Mask mode, which made selections non existent. Took quick mask off and now its working like it should.

In old versions this used to turn your screen pink. Not sure why Adobe thought it would be smart to take that feature out, but thank you Adobe, I just wasted an hour of my life trying to figure out WTF happened.....

I see your point. It makes sense that the whole image should be overlayed with ruby in QM mode when nothing at all is selected. (And if the preference to invert the behaviour is enabled, the whole image should be overlayed when all is selected.) It fails in CS6 on OS X 10.6.8. Please repair this, Adobe.

• 4. Re: Magic Wand won't select CS5.5 OSX
                AnnShelbourne Level 2

Try double-clicking the Quick Mask icon in the Tool Ber and then set the masking color and the behaviour for Masked or Selected Areas in the way that you want them to be.

• 5. Re: Magic Wand won't select CS5.5 OSX
                  conroy Level 5

Thanks, but I already knew that shortcut to swap behaviour and it doesn't solve the problem, in any case.

To restate the problem: when the image is entirely unselected or entirely selected, the Quick Mask rubylith always fails to overlay the image in CS6. This is regardless of whether the preference is for unselected areas to be overlayed or for selected areas to be overlayed.