9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2012 6:42 AM by lasvideo

Does CS6 work okay with PCs?

Daniel D Smith Level 1

This is my first post on this forum.  About two months ago I bought a Sony HDR-AX2000 camera.  Since that time I've been reading posts on this forum and others to try to figure out what kind of computer and editing software to buy. If any of you would be kind enough to answer some begineer questions I would appreciate it. 

I'm experienced in still photography and have a good eye for taking pictures.  But all of my photography experience has been with film cameras.   I've wanted to get into HD video as a hobby for some time but I've been waiting and watching as the prosumer cameras got better and less expensive. 

The last time I bought a computer was in about 2000.  I have done some audio editing on that system using Cakewalk but that's about as close to video editing that I got. 

I don't have any visions of becoming a professional editor on any level.  I expect there will be a steep learning curve on the editing but I'm okay with that. 

What would ruin me would be having to spend time debugging incompatibility issues, crashes, and so forth.  I don't have the knowledge of computers that many of you do so that would be very frustrating for me.  For the same reason, I don't think it would be wise for me to try to build my own system (although I can appreciate that it would be less expensive). 

So here are my questions:

1.  I've read a lot of posts about issues with CS6.  The common thread seems to be running CS6 on the Mac.  Are those of you who run CS6 on PCs having similar issues?

2.  I had ADK spec out a PC-based system for me with Adobe Production Premier.   I'd like your opinion on their recommended system:

Case Zalman - Z9 Mid-tower case. 3x 5.25, 6x 3.5, 1 2.5 drive bays. 

Power Supply Top Power - Striker 850 - 850W, up to 94% efficiency, 5 year Warranty 

Motherboard ADK - LGA1155X: Z77 3x 16X PCIe, 2PCIe 1x, 2 PCI, dual channnel DDR3 1600, no fir 

Processor Intel - Core i7 IVB @ 4.5GHz or higher Quad 8 meg cache with HT 

Processor  None 

Cooling ADK - ADK Extreme silence CPU cooling. 17DB (sorry no pics) 

Cooling 2 ADK - ADK Quiet Case fans (2) 8DB Noctua 

Memory 16gig (4x4GB) DDR3 1600 LV Lifetime warranty. 

Memory 2 None 

Memory 3 Paragon Backup & Recovery 11 Suite with ADK recovery DVD. 

Hard Drive 1 Western Digital - 1 TB Black 7200 rpm - Serial ATA 6.0Gb/s - 64 Meg Cache 5yr warranty 

Hard Drive 2 Western Digital - 2TB Raid 0(2x 1TB 64Meg) 5 yr warranty 

Hard Drive 3 Western Digital - 2TB Raid 0(2x 1TB 64Meg) 5 yr warranty 

Hard Drive 4 None 

Hard Drive 5 None 

Extra Storage none 

Controller None 

Video GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Lifetime warranty. 

Video 2 None 

CD/CD-RW/DVD Asus - BW-12B1ST Internal Blu-ray Writer 

CD/CD-RW/DVD 2 USB 3.0 Flash Card Reader/Writer 

Pro Audio None 

NIC Included wired not wireless 

Modem None 

Operating System Microsoft - Windows 7 Pro 64 bit OEM 

Other Software NONE 

Other Software 2 Adobe - Production Premium CS6 Win/Mac Full Version 

Other Software 3 NONE 

Monitor Asus - VE278Q 27" LED LCD Monitor - 1920 x 1080 - 16.7 Million Colors - 300 Nit - 

Keyboards None 

Speakers None 

Warranty 2 year parts and labor, onsite pickup, Lifetime tech support. 

Video Editing Workstation

ADK-I7-DVC Price: $5,165.00 

Description: Intel Sandy Bridge video editing workstation.

3.  Can I work with AVCHD files from the Sony camera in Production Premier/ Premier Pro CS6?  Are there any compatibility issues I sould be aware of?

4.  For those of you that are using Premier Pro with Macs - is it possible to buy earlier versions (e.g. CS5.5) and would you recommend that if I decided to buy a Mac?

Thanks,

Dan

• 1. Re: Does CS6 work okay with PCs?
          Jim_Simon Level 9

1.  It does seem like we have fewer issues on the PC.

2.  ADK knows their stuff.  Generally they're very reliable about specs.  But I personally disagree with their hard drive philosophy.  I think there are better setups than what they usually recommend.  Also, $5K seems a bit pricey for a hobby machine.

3.  There is a bug with certain AVCHD media that makes CS6 largely unusable.  It seems to affect only long (spanned) clips, but only from certain cameras.  You may want to test out PP with your media before buying.

• 2. Re: Does CS6 work okay with PCs?
            JAKE JONSON Level 1

Dan,

Your question is honestly probably better suited to the hardware forum in the Adobe Forums.  I suggest you go there and see what the regulars think the best current Intel platform is for video editing.  As a preview, I can tell you that the X79 "Sandy Bridge-E" architecture is favored somewhat over the Z-77 "Ivy Bridge" architecture of this system you're considering.  The CPU in the sweet spot currently is the Intel i7 3930k 6 core ("hexa-core").  You can read in the hardware forum for details on why this is the case. Since you're not building your own, however, you have a number of considerations to make as you assess the specifications and features of the package, from exactly which CPU is being bundled, to whether the bundled case has a USB 3 port in front.  (The Zalman Z9 does not, to the best of my knowledge.)  The direction you take will depend on your priorities.

• 3. Re: Does CS6 work okay with PCs?
              lasvideo Level 4

I just moved from Mac Pro to PC and all is well.

• 4. Re: Does CS6 work okay with PCs?
                [r]Evolution Level 1

I personally feel CS6 runs better/smoother on Windows than on OS X.

It just feels 'snappier' to me on Windows.

The GUI in OS X looks 'glossier' but no matter how 'glossy' they are, BeachBalls suck Balls!

• 5. Re: Does CS6 work okay with PCs?
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I suggest that you take a look at a couple of changes.

I suggest adding a SSD as your boot drive. Makes booting up and opening applications so much faster.

I also suggest you take a look at saving your money on Production Premium - a very expensive program - and look at the Creative Cloud. You get all the same programs plus quite a few more. For only $50 per month.  That leaves extra money for a faster PC. It takes about 34 months of owning Production Premium before it is cheaper in the long run than the Creative Cloud. But by then, the Creative Cloud would have upgraded your software at least dozens of times.

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/production/buying-guide.html

• 6. Re: Does CS6 work okay with PCs?
                    KJerryK MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Moved to the hardware forum

• 7. Re: Does CS6 work okay with PCs?
                      lasvideo Level 4

Hi Steven.  I dont have SSDs as my system drive and the computer boots up before 60 seconds as well.

I prefer to save money and use standard drives. This way I can have a  regular second drive that is a clone of the regular system drive (on which I also store my applications). This allows me to have a quick turn around if the main drive fails.

So I would need 2 SSDs. I  prefer spending that money on other items.

• 8. Re: Does CS6 work okay with PCs?
                        Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Understood. I am glad to hear your system boots up quickly as well.

I did, by the way, buy a second SSD with a clone of my original installation sitting on it. Just in case.

Are you on a standard drive for you OS or is it a RAID?  While SSD makes me a bit nervous, I think RAID0 makes me more nervous for a boot disk. Yet, I know people do that.

• 9. Re: Does CS6 work okay with PCs?
                          lasvideo Level 4

I have 4 standard drives ( not in a raid) and the Dulce ProDQg2 16TB raid 5 system which is amazingly fast. Im getting read/ write speeds for 1080P media at around 1100/1000 MB/sec.

Drives 1 has the system/ apps

Drive 2 is for all the media cache and data files for PP and AE

Drive 3 Is for Project files, Tutorial files and the place I export PP timelines to.

Drive 4 is the clone of drive 1