2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2012 2:18 PM by awesomealvin

How do I motion track just like the Plugin CameraTracker 1.0?

awesomealvin Level 1

On the plugin CameraTracker, it automatically detects points that can be motion tracked, and it does it very well. What got me thinking, is that it also carries on tracking when a tracking point goes out of screen.

Here's an example: http://i.imgur.com/sV1WS.jpg

I am using CameraTracker. As you see, this is the beginning of the clip, and what happens in this scene, is that the camera just fly towards the jungle.

If you see "Hehe", there's a green cross, and that is where the "Hehe" is tracked to. That red box is the null object.

Okay, so when the camera is flying towards the jungle, it passes that green point. And as it passes, it does not stuff the "Hehe". That "Hehe" stays in place as if it was in this Minecraft world.

It says in place, even though the cross has gone out of place.

BUT, if I use the Adobe After Effects built in motion tracking, and just want to select that point where the "Hehe" is, and I begin tracking, it goes pass then green cross, then that tracking box goes everywhere.

How do I do this so it's like CameraTracker? I want to do this using the default After Effects Motion Tracker.

If you cannot understand what I'm trying to explain, let me know what part you don't understand.

thanks.

• 1. Re: How do I motion track just like the Plugin CameraTracker 1.0?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The built in AE tracker does not have the capability to track objects that go off screen. There are techniques where you stop the track then move the track point to another spot in the image.

The best option would be to use AE's camera tracker (CS6) or Mocha to do your tracking. Mocha is available in previous versions as well.

AE's standard tracker is not suited to the task you're trying to accomplish. It works, and works very well, only for certain types of shots. For other types of shots you need to use other tools. If you already own Camera Tracker then I'd just use that.

• 2. Re: How do I motion track just like the Plugin CameraTracker 1.0?
            awesomealvin Level 1

Could you give me an example of "where you stop the track then move the track point to another spot in the image", using my picture?

What's the difference between CS6 Camera Tracker, and CS6 Motion Tracker?

And for the Camera Tracker plugin, I can only seem to track ONE part. If you see the image, the words are like in one part of the scene. If i were to put a word in a tree, it would look stuffed up. The word wouldn't be tracked onto the tree. It would be tracked on the sand instead.