11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2016 6:29 AM by heilong

Photoshop CS6. Save for Web Problem - Don't remember folder location

Samen

Hi!

Found one more problem with Save For Web in Photoshop CS6.

Example:

1. New Document

2. Choose - Save for web

3. In dialog window Photoshop CS6 offer to save in - os My Document Folder

4. Ok, every time I don't really need to save in os folders - I save files to my folders. So, change folder ...for example to disc D

5. Create another New document

6. Choose Save for web

7. And.... - Photoshop CS6 offer to save my file in os My Documents AGAIN !!!

So, in fact it's real uncomortable!!! ...if I save different files for web frequently ....I need every time change My Documents....it makes me nervous.......

Here - compare with CS3: CS3 remember "old" folder location even at another session (for example - after reload os)

Is there any fix this problem?

p.s. Testing on:

OS - windows 7 64 bit

cs6 - 64 bit extended

cs3 - 64 bit extended

• 1. Re: Photoshop CS6. Save for Web Problem - Don't remember folder location
          Level 5

That is not happening here. 

Photoshop 13, Mac OS 10.6.8 Snow Leopard.

Sorry not to be able to help you.

Trnsprnt_Apple_in_circle.png

• 2. Re: Photoshop CS6. Save for Web Problem - Don't remember folder location
            Noel Carboni Level 8

Not happening here either, and I'm running Windows 7 x64, which is clearly a superior operating system for running Photoshop, based on all the recent posts by Mac users having problems here on the forum.  Okay, I'm just jabbing station_two a bit here - I had to counter his little "Apple is superior" dig.

Samenman, not only does my Save for Web remember the last location it saved in, but it also remembers it across Photoshop sessions.  We need to try to find out why yours is not.

What file type are you saving, specifically?  Can you document a very specific sequence, noting every step, including details like what file type you're saving and so on, and document it here?  I'll be happy to try to reproduce it.

Here's what I'm seeing (click on the thumbnail below to see an animation):

-Noel

• 3. Re: Photoshop CS6. Save for Web Problem - Don't remember folder location
              Samen Level 1

Noel, Yes! In your example everything works like on your video. May be my explanation was not so clear, so...I'm trying to describe in more details.

I don't know how to make video & animated gif by capture the screen...so I'll try to explain by words

1. Start CS6

2. Make New Document

3. Save for Web (save parametres are: JPEG, HIGH etc....I think it doesn't matter)

4. CS6 offer "My Documents"

5. Change the way to "Disc D"

6. Save it by name for example "Untitled-1".... & close window "Save for web"

7. Choose "Save for Web" again

....So, at this step - CS6 remember my current location "Disc D" even I open other file & use command "Save for web"...it saves to Disc D. Everything is ok.

....continue:

8. Shut down the CS6

9. Run it again

10. Create new file or....even open saved file on disc D in previous session - "Untitled-1"

11. Save for Web

So, it's final: CS6 offer the "My documents" AGAIN

....continue:

12. Run CS6 - Make New File - Save for Web to disc D by name "Untitled-1"

13. Keep the photoshop session & create new document...let's call it "Untitled-2" - so, now I have 2 files opened in CS6: "Untitled-1" (it was saved on disc D before) & new "Untitled-2"

14. So if I'll try to save second file "Untitled-2" fo web CS6 offer the way "My documents" AGAIN!

p.s. Tryied to do the same on CS3 - Shut down CS3 2-3 times, opened different files, create new docs - there's no trouble. In global - CS3 remember last way (in my case it's "Disc D") & doesn't change it by itself. In fact working in CS3 I din't feel any problems with this command "Save for Web", that's the reason I didn't write any questions on forums etc..... But starting to try CS6 I really feel it makes the work to change every time the folder ways not so comfortable...so I wrote the question here

p.s. 2    In spite of I didn't work in CS4-CS5 cause it were not comfortable in my opinion....now I wanted to  test "save for web" in CS5. Trouble is the same even during one session:

1. Run CS5

2. Create new document

3. Save for web - CS5 offer "My Dociment", change it to "disc D" - save - ok

4. Shut down, run CS5 again

5. Create New, or even Opened old saved file to disc D (for example from step 3) - CS5 offer the way "My documents" again

I hope this my explanation was more clear to understand

• 4. Re: Photoshop CS6. Save for Web Problem - Don't remember folder location
                Samen Level 1

Well, tested it on notebook with the same parameters os win 7 64 bit:

There is no such problem. I think problem desripted in first lines of this topic is that on PC I work I have 3 photoshops: CS3, CS5 & installed now CS6.....notebook has only CS3 & testing CS6....- there was no problem between CS3 & CS6

• 5. Re: Photoshop CS6. Save for Web Problem - Don't remember folder location
                  lumur123 Level 1

Samen,

Were you able to solve the problem? I happened to me too... Suddenly it offers a default location to "My Documents" folder instead of last save location every time I try to Save for Web & Devices.  It worked fine until today. I haven't changed any settings/preferences lately.  Very annoying... it dramatically affects my work flow!

Does anybody knows the solution?

Thanks,

• 6. Re: Photoshop CS6. Save for Web Problem - Don't remember folder location
                    Noel Carboni Level 8

Lumur123, what version of Photoshop are you using?  An older one?

-Noel

• 8. Re: Photoshop CS6. Save for Web Problem - Don't remember folder location
                      BriGuyAG Level 1

Getting this, too, in Photoshop CS6 (13.0.5 x64) on my MacBook Pro running Mountain Lion (10.8.4).

Keeps going back to "Documents" instead of to the last place I've been "Saving for Web" for the past few days.

Might be time to rebuild the preferences or something.

Freakin' annoying as heck.

Edit: Yes, resetting the preferences fixed this behavior for me:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/375776

Basically... quit Photoshop and then hold Cmd-Opt-Shift (Mac) or Ctl-Alt-Shift (PC) and click the Photoshop icon to relaunch. It'll ask you if you want to trash the preferences. Hit Yes.

After doing this, you'll have to tell Photoshop where to save the files again (because you just got done resetting its "brain," so to speak), but after I did this and then quit and relaunched Photoshop, subsequent saving once again remembers the location correctly.

Edit #2:

Sigh... back to being wrong again. Sort of. It'll remember the location for existing files, but if I open a layered Photoshop file from that folder, then make a few edits and select "Save As" to save it as a new version (comp 2, for example) to that same job folder, then go to Save for Web again and -BAM- it's right back to the OS-level "Documents" folder.

I don't even need to close the file to see this happen. What I did last:

1. Open a previously-saved layered Photoshop file in the job folder.

2. Save for Web (remembers location).

3. Using that same layered Photoshop file that's already open, do a Save As and save it with a new name (file stays open). [*Note: Save As remembers file location*]

4. Do another Save for Web... (location is suddenly back to Documents)

Dang this thing... what the heck is goin' on here!?

Message was edited by: BriGuyAG

• 9. Re: Photoshop CS6. Save for Web Problem - Don't remember folder location
                        who_the

Here's what FIXED the problem for me. I discovered accidentally that the behavior seems connected to the Actions palette and recorded actions:

• Record a new Action (or modify an existing Action) that Saves for Web. The folder you select as the destination for the saved file becomes the new "default" folder anytime Save to Web is invoked, not just for the specific recorded Action.

Hope that helps!

• 10. Re: Photoshop CS6. Save for Web Problem - Don't remember folder location
                          Paul M. Zahorosky

So this just started to happen to me. I've been using CS6 on a MacBook OS X for years and the Photoshop Save For Web always retained its last folder location. Yesterday the Save For Web defaults to the documents folder every single time.

It's not like there have been any updates to CS6 since Adobe only cares about CC now, so I can only imagine that any of the recent Apple updates messed with the folder retention. What makes no sense is the Photoshop "Save As" remembers the last folder I saved in "Save For Web".

Regardless if a Mac update messed this up, this has obviously been a problem for several years. Adobe- your stupid software costs so much damn money that it should work flawlessly. I'm getting tired of spending hundreds of dollars on BETA SOFTWARE!

• 11. Re: Photoshop CS6. Save for Web Problem - Don't remember folder location
                            heilong

Been plagued by this issue for ages, finally got around to search for a solution. Your advice really does work.

I just created a new action (automatically starts recording), used `Safe for Web` for the currently open file, chose the folder I'd like to save to, then finished recording the action. So far looks like Photoshop always suggesting using the folder I selected when I use `File > Save for Web`. Hopefully I'll never see `My Documents` folder again.

Thanks!