8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2012 2:57 PM by the_wine_snob

Exporting sections of a timeline

MarkERoberts

Using Premiere Pro 5.5:

I am editing several days worth of classroom instruction. I am making clips of examples of the instruction techniques used by the instructor, and not the actual class memebers participation. As such, I am only capturing and rendering for final output snips of the instructor's comments and coaching.

Is there a way to highlight a section of the timeline video and export just that selection of the timeline, without having to notate the time code in and out points?

I have been making a note of the time code at the In and Out points, selecting the File>Export... command, then chosing the "custom" choice in the dropdown box and manually entering the time code to get the selection I'd like to export to a final file.

Is there a better way to do this in 5.5?

Many thanks!

• 1. Re: Exporting sections of a timeline
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes. The WAB (Work Area Bar) is what you want. You can set it to just the area of the Timeline, that you wish to Export. Be sure to set Export Work Area, in those settings.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Exporting sections of a timeline
            MarkERoberts Level 1

Thank you Bill. Just what i needed.

I am now looking for a quick way to set the work area to my in and out points, then i will be golden. Is there a quick way to do that?

Many thanks!!

• 3. Re: Exporting sections of a timeline
              MarkERoberts Level 1

Found it... Option [ and option ]

Whew!

Again, thanks for your reply. it saved me gobs of time!

• 4. Re: Exporting sections of a timeline
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I should have added that shortcut, though you would have had to interpolate, as I would have typed Alt+[/Alt-].

Glad that you were ahead me there.

Now, one thing to point out. Until the user has set the WAB, it automatically expands, as Clips are added. Once it has been set, that auto function does not happen any more. To reset the WAB to the full Timeline (no restoring the auto function), hit the \ (Backslash key), to zoom out and see the entire Timeline, then look at the WAB, and find the little "box" in the middle - Dbl-click that to expand the WAB.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Exporting sections of a timeline
                  MarkERoberts Level 1

Ah yes, the subtleties of the Mac vs PC...

Rest assured tonight that you have helped another save precious time.

• 6. Re: Exporting sections of a timeline
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

See, we PC-guys are not ALL bad...

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - That WAB has a similar use, when Rendering - it can limit the Render to just a chosen area of the Timeline, and (and a biggie for me), it can be used as a Time Ruler over many Clips, or part of Clips. Just adjust it, then hover over that box, to get the Duration of the WAB - great when one needs to come up with Audio, that is not really easy to calculate otherwise.

• 7. Re: Exporting sections of a timeline
                      MarkERoberts Level 1

Yes, I am a recovering PC addict as well. Went Mac after I used an iPhone for a while and discovered it was in essence a small mac... No hard reboots every day, and I thought "Huh, might want to try that at home".

The PS on that last post was worth the effort to post my original question. Thanks! I am making the adjustments to Premiere from FCP 7 and I know when I get used to it, I'll be much happier. I have 6 days (!!) of video to scrub, so i might be wwell familiar with it by then (minus some hair I'm sure).

Again, this was good info. Thanks!

• 8. Re: Exporting sections of a timeline
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, that little WAB is a "hidden gem," IMHO. I use some aspect of it, almost daily. Now, if there WAS a way to completely restore the "auto expand" function, after it has been adjusted. Maybe time for another Feature Request?

I look at my wife's iPad, and her iPhone, and can tell that they do not like me - even when they are turned off.

One day, I will start thinking X-platform better, and mention Mac & PC keystrokes, like good authors do. I am just so danged PC-centric, that I too often forget my Mac-brothers, across the street.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Guess that it's time to mark your post as Answered.