2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2012 4:27 PM by Frustrated in AZ

Download and install free  book to Kobo ereader

lmcin76734

How do I download and install a free Kobo book to my ereader?

• 1. Re: Download and install free  book to Kobo ereader
          Jeff A Wright Adobe Employee

Moving this discussion to the Adobe Digital Editions forum.

• 2. Re: Download and install free  book to Kobo ereader
            Frustrated in AZ Level 4

The question was: "How do I download and install a free Kobo book to my

ereader?"  It's a simple question, but there's not much information about

the background, such as whether ADE is installed, whether an ebook has been

downloaded to ADE, and what kind of computer is being used.  So, I'll

assume very little other than that you are using a Windows PC with Internet

Explorer, and that you've already installed Digital Editions.  If you

haven't, then you will need to obtain an Adobe ID (if you don't have one),

and install the software on your computer.  That's done by going to

http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/ and towards the middle of

the page there will be an install button.  During the process,  you will be

asked to obtain an Adobe ID if you haven't done that already.  Just follow

that process from the screen, and you'll be returned to the install process

when that's done.

THIS IS IMPORTANT - after you install Digital Editions, and run it for the

first time you should Authorize ADE with your Adobe ID, and continue to use

that Adobe ID on any computers that you install Digital Editions on.  This

is important, because Adobe builds a small file attached to each ebook that

contains your Adobe ID.  If you use a different ID, then those ebooks

you've already downloaded with one ID won't be readable under the other one.

After you have authorized your computer with an AdobeID:

- Close ADE

- Plug in your KOBO ereader to your computer via the USB cable, and make

sure it shows up as an external drive with a letter (such as E:\)on your

computer.

- Launch ADE and you should get a dialog asking to authorize your

ereader.  Do that using your Adobe ID.  The Kobo ereader should show up in

the left hand panel of ADE's Library view (the booksheves).

When you download an ebook from Kobo, the process will activate ADE and the

transfer of the ebook to your computer will be 'automagic'.  If it's not,

and you get a strange file name with a suffix .ascm, just click on that

file, and use your 'Open With' capability to specify Digital

Editions.  During that process, you should SAVE the file, so Digital

Editions puts it into your ADE library.

Then, using ADE, you will be able to drag and drop those files from the

right hand panel onto your Nook on the bookshelf.

Once you've transferred the ebook, you can close ADE, and the Kobo ereader

will show that it's updating its content.  When it stops doing that, then

you can eject or detach the ereader from your computer.

Hope this helps!

==============