8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2009 10:22 AM by Newsgroup_User

Director 11 and PDFs?

paulburd
      Director 11 has finally been announced! Yay! But, I don't see any mention of using PDFs inside of Director. Can any Adobe people comment on this? Will Director 11 be able to import PDFs directly without the need of an xtra?
        • 1. Re: Director 11 and PDFs?
          liveoak
          Never mentioned anywhere, so this is sounds doubtful.
          • 2. Re: Director 11 and PDFs?
            Ex Malterra Level 1
            That'd be great. But as liveoak said, there's been no mention. You'd think a feature like that would be touted.
            • 3. Re: Director 11 and PDFs?
              paulburd Level 1
              I think they would want to promote it too, but it's so odd that Adobe wouldn't build that feature in, considering they now own both Director and Acrobat. I'm going to be shocked if the new Director can't import PDFs.
              • 4. Re: Director 11 and PDFs?
                Ex Malterra Level 1
                quote:

Originally posted by: paulburdodd that Adobe wouldn't build that feature in, considering they now own both Director and Acrobat.

Agreed. Hopefully that functionality is on the short list for patches/updates.

• 5. Director 11 and PDFs?
                  McFazstp Level 1
                  Director 11 Features

quote:

Adobe product line compatibility (Enhanced)
                  Take advantage of the easy workflow between Director 11 and the Adobe applications you already rely on, including Adobe Photoshop®, Flash, and the entire Adobe Creative Suite® 3 family of products.

I believe Acrobat is part of the Creative Suite but I don't know what easy workflow entails.

• 6. Director 11 and PDFs?
                    Brian Stew Level 2
                    It would be truly bizarre if a product owned by Adobe would need a commercial third party xtra to import PDF - a file format which Adobe promotes loud and proud and they seem to suggest to use it for everything everywhere...
                    However, it could be a nod to long time Director supporter and xtra developer company Integration New Media (INM), to let them have some cash back from their efforts. A better solution for the Di developer would be to pay INM a fee for integrating their xtra into the starndard release. I use the PDF features provided by INM quite a lot; it's excellent stuff.
                    • 7. Re: Director 11 and PDFs?
                      Czajka Level 1
                      I would like to make a searchable PDF based CD, with Director 11, but it appears my options are limited. INM has a solution, but the DB part hasn't been updated to 11 yet. Anyone have any ideas? I need the CD to play well with Vista and Intel Macs.
                      • 8. Re: Director 11 and PDFs?
                        Level 7
                        Is there a reason that you can not use Director 10? INM's Impressario
                        with the Searchable PDF Toolkit seems like the perfect solution. Unless
                        you need Unicode text or something within the presentation, Director 10
                        should offer no real downsides. I use it extensively.