3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2012 1:57 PM by areohbee

Writing a 'pre-import' plugin

userp123fsd

Hello,

I would like to ask whether it is possible to write a plugin that runs a command line BEFORE a RAW file is imported to LR.

This is my situation:

I'm using a micro-four-thirds camera (Olympus E-PL2) which records RAW files in the 4:3 aspect ratio (4032x3024 pixels).

It is possible to choose a different aspect ratios from the camera menu, e.g. 16:9, since it sometimes helps in the composition. Effectively the camera crops the live view to the desired aspect ratio (and also the JPEG files), but the full 4:3 image is always captured in the RAW files.The problem is that when such RAW file is imported to LR it appears in the aspect ratio that it was taken with, e.g. 16:9, and there's no access to the full 4:3 image.

My soluton so far is to manually modify the RAW file before importing it to LR. Specifically, I run this command:

exiftool -AspectRatio="4:3" -AspectFrame="0 0 4031 3023" {filename}.ORF

After that I can import the file to LR and get access to the full image.

I was thinking about writing a plugin that runs this command everytime before importing an ORF (Olympus Raw File) file to Lightroom. This will automate the process.

Is that possible?

Thank you

Assaf