2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2012 6:06 PM by Noel Carboni

Can I run Photoshop 5.0 on Windows 7

rpayne90

Can I run an older version of Photoshop (Photoshop 5.0 limited edition) on Windows 7? If not what is the oldest version of Photoshop I can run on Windows 7? I know this is really old. I was in the graphics industry for many years, this is an older version I've had and it will do everything I need now that I'm not using it profesionally, just really like the program and want to use it for personal stuff at home.

• 1. Re: Can I run Photoshop 5.0 on Windows 7
          Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

It would run fine if you were to actually be able to install the program.

The problem is if your on windows 7 64 bit that the the exe file that you double click on to install the problem is a 16 bit program and

the ones for older versions of photoshop don't seem to work on windows 7 64 bit.

I believe photoshop 5.5 or photoshop elements 1.0 are the oldest version of photoshop and photoshop elements that will install on windows 7 64 bit without any user intervention.

(photoshop elements 3 and 4 don't work so good on windows 7)

Honestly you should try photoshop elements 10 and see if that meets your needs. It's a 30 day fully functional trial and it runs quite well on windows 7.

• 2. Re: Can I run Photoshop 5.0 on Windows 7
            Noel Carboni Level 8

It's possible, though the oldest version I've personally run is 6.0.  You may have to diasable UAC or always run the app As Administrator. 

There is also the possibility of using the XP Mode virtualization facility.  

One thing that I know causes Photoshop 7.0 trouble is that way back when these versions were made there was no such thing as 1TB of free space.

-Noel