4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2012 8:07 AM by conroy

Missing Preview Icons

enigma51564

Whenever I save a file in Photoshop CS6, no preview icon is created.  I am still also using PS CS5 and don't have this problem.  I am running Mac OS 10.8

• 1. Re: Missing Preview Icons
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

What are your Photoshop > Preferences > File Handling settings?

What previews are you talking about axactly?

• 2. Re: Missing Preview Icons
            enigma51564 Level 1

The Preferences/File Handling settings are as follows:

1.  Always Save

2.  Icon

3.  Window Thumbnail.

Same settings as I use in CS5.  For some strange reason, I only get file names with no thumbnail icons in CS6.

• 3. Re: Missing Preview Icons
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

A screenshot would seem to be so much easier and not as incomplete …

• 4. Re: Missing Preview Icons
                conroy Level 5

See this thread about the non-displayed icons on OS X problem:  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1008694?tstart=30

I did some poking around and found that the icons attached to Ps CS6-saved files are unlike the icons attached to Ps CS5.1-saved files and files saved by other applications. This CS6-type icon is counter to recommendation in Apple's software development guidelines.

A change was made by Adobe software engineers which results in different icons to those on CS5.1-saved files. You'll see that an attempt has been made to blame Apple for the icons not being displayed sometimes on some users' systems. However, if correctly-generated guideline-compliant icons are used then they will be displayed, as far as I know, since only Ps CS6 amongst thousands of apps seems to affect anyone. I think an update to Ps CS6 will see good icons being attached in future.

In the linked thread, some users seem to have found a solution (perhaps only temporary, but I don't know).

An alternative suggestion I can make is replacing the poor icons with good ones.

The impractical laborious method:

1. Using Photoshop, open the file that has a problem icon

2. Select all

3. Copy Merged, or Copy if Background is only layer (so the clipboard contains a composite)

4. Close file

5. Open Finder's Get Info window for the file

6. Click the thumbnail at top-left of Get Info window (thumbnail border should highlight)

7. Paste (OS X will generate and attach a good icon)

8. Close Get Info window

That may be Applescript-able for a batch process.

I have a command line utility that can replace icons, and a batch process could be scripted, but icons are being displayed correctly on my OS X 10.6.8 Mac so I haven't bothered to do that.

Regardless of how you change an icon, if the file is resaved by Ps CS6, a poor icon will be attached again.