3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2012 6:58 AM by VHC-CO-IT

Ultrabook   Toshiba Z930 i7

Royhessey Level 1

Thinking of purchasing Toshiba Portege Z930 Core i7 2GHz 8G 256GB SSD 13.3 inch with 3G Ultrabook PT235A-00V00D01

to do field quick editing, no rendering or outputing needed.

Here are the spect.

http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/products/computers/ultrabook/z930/pt235a-00v00d01/specificatio ns#details

Do you think Premier CS6 will perform OK here on this machine?

• 1. Re: Ultrabook   Toshiba Z930 i7
          Harm Millaard Level 7

No. It does not meet minimum requirements. You need at least 900 vertical resolution and 768 means you will work in the blind, you can not see essential parts of the GUI. It also lacks a second disk, for which you can either use an SSD or preferably a 7200 RPM SATA disk. And third it is a Toshiba...

If you want an Ultrabook, look at http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Superior_Mobility/ASUS_ZENBOOK_UX31A/#specifications and add one or two external 7200 RPM USB3 disks. Of course you need to up the memory and have to suffer the integrated graphics, but there are few choices in this category of compact laptops.

• 2. Re: Ultrabook   Toshiba Z930 i7
            Royhessey Level 1

Thanks Harm, where would we be without you. I have checked out the Asus and am concerned that it only has 4gig mem. and appears not to be expandable.

Anyway I like the weight but maybe I need a bit more grunt at expense of weight.

Thanks again

Roy

• 3. Re: Ultrabook   Toshiba Z930 i7
              VHC-CO-IT

I don't think there's an ultrabook out there that would be fast enough.  I have a Toshiba Portege with an i3 and to get to 30W total system usage, they powered down the onboard GPU inside the i3 and downclocked it to like 1.4GHz or something.  It gets like a 5.1 CPU rating in the WEI benchmark despite the fact that hyperthreading is still turned on!

It has an SSD but it's some wacky frankenstein one made to fit inside that chassis that gets a whopping 6.4 rating in the WEI.  Even OCZ Agility 4's get a 7.4 on a SATA II controller!

But regardless of CPU capability, the lack of a sufficient GPU is what's going to kill it.  That and the limited screen resolution of course.  Basically, if it's over 13" it's not typically considered an ultrabook.

You may want to look at a Toshiba Qosmio.  Some run at a ridiculous 180W total (but have sufficient fans) but they have dedicated GPUs from Nvidia, full blown mobile i7's, and 8-16GB of memory that's alos upgradeable.  The #1 best thing is they typically have 7200RPM hard drives.  That brings you back up closer to desktop level performance at least and they're only around $1,100-1,250 for a decent model.