4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2010 9:56 AM by jchunick

Local vs Internet IP, MU doesn't know

Level 1
      Dear All,

I am using a wireless network at home which also has a fixed internet IP. On the network the local IP for the SQL server is something like 198.162.X.X. My internet fixed IP is something completely different.

When I try to connect through the director application (computer is part of the local network) to the MU server (computer also part of the local network) and I insert the local IP of 198.162.X.X Director cannot find the MU. I am guessing is because it is trying to find that IP over the internet instead on my local network?

Anyone has any experience on how to fix this and how in general to make Director look for local network IPs because checking the internet IPs?

THANK YOU all for any feedback.
      Alex
        • 1. Re: Local vs Internet IP, MU doesn't know
          Level 7
          "I am guessing is because it is trying to find that IP over the internet
          instead on my local network?"

I don't believe this is correct. If the client, server and SQL server(?)
          are all on the same LAN, then any communications should stay local.

Are you sure the application you are trying to run works? Is it
          something you are creating yourself, or are you trying to use a packaged
          application? Are you running any firewalls that block ports?

Director has no problem making client/server connections over a local
          network. Since the client and server are both on the same LAN, the
          router should route all message appropriately.

Can you provide more details? It would be useful in providing you help.
          • 2. Re: Local vs Internet IP, MU doesn't know
            Level 1
            Thank you for the reply.. The problem was the windows firewall at the end... Somehow it got turned ON and blocking the connection to the server.. You response put me on the right track and made me look at the firewall..

Thanks again,
            Alex
            • 3. Re: Local vs Internet IP, MU doesn't know
              Gerarrdinho

I didn't understand the main differnce between Local IP & Internet IP

pls I have to know

give us deep explanation

• 4. Re: Local vs Internet IP, MU doesn't know
                jchunick

Gerarrdinho wrote:

I didn't understand the main differnce between Local IP & Internet IP

pls I have to know

give us deep explanation

Gerarrdinho,

1. Please start your own thread instead of taking over another one in this forum.

2. Is this information needed for a Director related project or just information you are looking for in general?