Could you please be specific about u'r Windows version?
You need to install Flash Player separately for Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.
In the first issue you mentioned, go to Task Manager (press Control + Shift + Delete keys), then see if Firefox listed in the Applications or Process taba. If Yes, select it and click End Process. The installation should automatically continue.
If you want to install Flash Player in Internet Explorer, please go through the procedure mentioned in the following doc for details: http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player- windows.html#main-pars_heading_5
Thanks for your response. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit, and FP 11.3.300.268 was installed--it was named the Flash Player plug-in, which was confusing.
I went ahead and uninstalled and reinstalled, following Pat Willener's previously posted advice (see below) to download and save the FP uninstaller and offline installer. Part of the problem is that my download manager was through Firefox, so once I eliminated that after downloading, the browser was truly closed. I eliminated the remaining files in the Flash folders (see below) except mms.cfg (and the FlashPlayertrust folder; I left that). So I uninstalled and reinstalled, and that didn't fix the problem, which is that I couldn't use NPR's media player without it freezing Firefox.
What solved that problem was dumping the npr cookies--and I dumped the rest of my cookies while I was at it. And for the moment, it looks like everything is working in Firefox. If I run into problems again, I'll check back.
Here are the previously posted instructions from Pat Willener for uninstalling and reinstalling:
Here is what I did; try doing the same:
- download the FP uninstaller from http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows. html and save it to disk
- download the offline installers from http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/flash-player/kb/installation-pr oblems-flash-player-windows.html#main-pars_header and save them to disk
- close all browser windows, then run the downloaded uninstaller
- delete any remaining files in
- C:\Windows\syswow64\Macromed\Flash (except mms.cfg - you can leave that)
- now run the downloaded installers