2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2012 7:50 AM by Motion0w22

Template errors: "Making this change would require changing code that is locked by a template..."

Motion0w22 Level 1

I have an editable region inside on a template that is linked to multiple pages so I can add page-specific content to them.

1. I keep getting the following error every time I try to update pages connected to my template (when I upload the template and it auto-updates the pages):

"You placed the editable region "Main Content" inside a block tag. Users of this template will not be able to create new blocks in this region. Move the region outside the block tag if you want users to be able to do this.."

This relates to the following code, but I don't know what the problem is and how to correct it:

<td height="33" colspan="2" align="left" valign="top" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" class="centre_font"><p class="centre_align"><!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="Main Content" --><span class="leftalign">Main Content</span><br /> 

<!-- TemplateEndEditable --><script type="text/javascript"></script></p></td>

</tr>

2.     In addition, I had a Flash graphic in the editable area in my home page and I want to replace it with a table but I get the following error:

"Making this change would require changing code that is locked by a template or translator. The change will be discarded.."

3.     Thirdly, I'm unable to place any div layers as they get shifted out of the editable area with the area wrapped around the outside of them. This is making it virtually impossible to place items fluidly. I get the same error as above.

Does anyone know how to fix these. I can post more code if necessary but I don't know which is relevant.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Template errors: "Making this change would require changing code that is locked by a template..."
          MurraySummers Level 8

"You placed the editable region "Main Content" inside a block tag. Users of this template will not be able to create new blocks in this region. Move the region outside the block tag if you want users to be able to do this.."

This is a warning not an error.  It is thrown when you have placed an editable region inside of a block tag as you have -

<p class="centre_align"><!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="Main Content" --><span class="leftalign">Main Content</span><br />

<!-- TemplateEndEditable --><script type="text/javascript"></script></p>

Note that the editable region is INSIDE a <p> block.  What it means is that you cannot add new paragraphs, tables, divs, etc. to that editable region since that would require putting a new block inside a paragraph block which is not allowed, for example -

<p>

<p>This is a new block inside an existing paragraph</p>

</p>

The solution *might* be as simple as moving the editable region OUTSIDE that paragraph block, e.g.,

<!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="Main Content" --><p class="centre_align"><span class="leftalign">Main Content</span><br />

<script type="text/javascript"></script></p><!-- TemplateEndEditable -->

Now, you will be free to add any new blocks you need to that region.

"Making this change would require changing code that is locked by a template or translator. The change will be discarded.."

Well, this warning is a bit of a red herring.  It can often be loosely interpreted as follows -

OOPS.  I've found an error on your page.

To have a better idea of why you are getting this we would need to see all of the code on the page, as well as the CSS.  Can you post a link to the live page?

Finally, I'm thinking that fixing these two things will help with your last one, but I'm a little uncertain what you are describing there.  And I'm deeply troubled by your use of the word "layers" - most people should avoid using any absolute positioning until they become experienced enough to conclude that they should not use absolute positioning (at least as a layout tool)!

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Template errors: "Making this change would require changing code that is locked by a template..."
            Motion0w22 Level 1

Thanks for your reply. I rarely check these forums hence the delay. Someone helped me to reconstruct my website using code but the problem has come back again. I'm relying on editable regions in conjunction with templates in Dreamweaver CS6 (at the moment, free trial).

The area of issue seems to been inside the <head> and </head> block tags. I tried moving the </head> end tag but the problem persisted.

My website is at: http://www.goodwinsanimations.com/

The home page is linked to the template along with the Celebrations page. Some of the other links are non-functional at the moment.

In addition, I'm trying to set the main container to fit the page content with some space at the bottom and the footer bar to be positioned at the base of that.