4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2012 5:04 AM by Geoff 1945

Change thumbnail in PE10

Geoff 1945

Can someone tell me how to change the thumnail in the project view in Premiere Elements 10. In 8 and 9 I just right clicked in a blank space in the project panel and selected "view/preview". A small preview screen popped up at the top of the panel and I could run the clip until I arrived at the point I wanted, take a snapshot of the frame and the thumbnail would change to that frame. I've tried every conceivable way I can think of and I can't find how to do the same thing in PE10. I'm about to give a course on how to use PE10 and I'd like to look like i know what I'm talking about.

• 1. Re: Change thumbnail in PE10
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Where are you trying to change it?

In the Media panel? On the timeline?

Sorry. It's just not clear what you're trying to do.

Both the Media panel and the timeline will display the first frame of your video.

• 2. Re: Change thumbnail in PE10
            Geoff 1945 Level 1

Yes that's true, but sometimes the first frame is blank or doesn't adequately represent what's on the clip. In previous versions it was possible to change the thumbnail in the project view in the media panel by right clicking on an empty space and selecting "view/preview area". A small TV screen would pop up above the media which could be used to show the selected clip and play it until a suitable frame appeared, then a snapshot of that frame could be taken by clicking on a little camera icon next to the small TV screen and that shot would replace the first frame of the clip on the thumbnail in the project view of the media panel. That method doesn't work with Elements 10 and I've tried every possible way I can think of to change the thumbnail from the first frame of the clip to something else without success. The first frame of the clip will always be the one shown on the timeline irrespective of what's shown on the thumbnail of the clip in the project view on the media panel.

• 3. Re: Change thumbnail in PE10
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This has never been a feature of the Premiere Elements timeline, Geoff.

Where are you trying to change it!!!

• 4. Re: Change thumbnail in PE10
                Geoff 1945 Level 1

I'm sorry Steve, I've been leading you astray. I've been incorrectly referring to the Tasks panel as the Project panel which has led to much confusion and no wonder, when in fact I mean the Project View (not Project Panel) in the Organize tab of the Tasks panel. I'll start again.

In Elements 8 and I think 9, when the clips are displayed with thumbnails in the project view in the Organize tab of the tasks panel, it was possible to change the thumbnail picture. This was accomplished by right clicking on a vacant space below the clips and selecting "view/preview area". A small TV screen would then appear above the "hide video, hide audio, etc" icons. A selected clip could then be played on this little TV until a frame that more adequately represented what's on the clip appeared. A snapshot of the selected frame, accomplished by clicking on a little camera icon next to the TV screen, would then replace the default thumbnail picture (the first frame of the selected clip which is sometimes blank) with the frame selected. If the clip was then brought down onto the timeline then the new thumbnail would appear there too.

I'd like to know how to accomplish this with Elements 10, as I said I've tried every conceivable button know to man but I can't find how to do it. I can't believe that Adobe would remove this feature.

Sorry about the confusion, my fault.