7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2012 7:58 AM by Peter Spier

Problem with CS5 crashing when inserting or deleting page

Wilderness08 Level 1

I have a legacy file (educational textbook) that was created in CS2 and has been edited and updated over the past couple of years with no problems. The file is approximately 360 pages with around 30 illustrations, a ToC, and large index. When updating the material today, I went back to insert a page due to overflow text and InDesign crashed. This happens every time I try to insert or delete a single page. I can insert a single page on pages i through viii, but when I try to insert a page beginning at Sec2:1 InDesign crashes. I can open and close the file and edit it anywhere with no problems.

If I insert 2 pages at a time, it works fine and I can flow the text into the page. But, when I go to delete the extra page I don't need, it crashes. It doesn't seem to be specific to any particular master page in the file. I tried several times to export to an IDML file, reopen and save it to an InDesign file but the same problem occurs.

The same thing happens with the file on the same verson of InDesign that is on my laptop. This problem does not occur with other InDesign files that I have created in the past. I need some help. Thank you!

• 1. Re: Problem with CS5 crashing when inserting or deleting page
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Wilderness08 wrote:

I tried several times to export to an IDML file, reopen and save it to an InDesign file but the same problem occurs.

The same thing happens with the file on the same verson of InDesign that is on my laptop. This problem does not occur with other InDesign files that I have created in the past. I need some help. Thank you!

Are you saying that it also crashes when try to export as an IDML file?

• 2. Re: Problem with CS5 crashing when inserting or deleting page
            Wilderness08 Level 1

Yes. I exported to IDML, saved as INDD, reopened the INDD file and still had the same problem of crashing when attempting to insert 1 page (a 2 page spread will insert okay, but deletion of any page, whether 1 or 2 at a time causes crash).

• 3. Re: Problem with CS5 crashing when inserting or deleting page
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What operating system and version? What kind of computer? (I'm trying to eliminate a known bug.)

• 4. Re: Problem with CS5 crashing when inserting or deleting page
                Wilderness08 Level 1

OS = Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit (on both primary computer and laptop).

• 5. Re: Problem with CS5 crashing when inserting or deleting page
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I think Steve was looking for a bug that affects new Macs, which we can rul out at this point.

I suspect some corrupt text of some sort, but that's just a guess. Ther first thing I'd do is make a copy of the file for backup, then start trying to find the problem.

You mentioned this was a CS2 file originally. What was the last version, and how much editing has beeen done in CS5? Do you have the old file and can you add pages in that version?

In the CS5 version, are you able to select half of the pages at a time in the Pages panel and use the Move Pages command to move them to a new file (you need to make the new file first)? In the new file, before you move the pages, rename Master Page A to something that you didn't use in the file that is giving you trouble so that it isn't applied to any of your pages when they are moved, and open the Paragraph Styles panel flyout menuand choose Load Styles. Load the [Basic Paragraph] style from the problem doc and replace the existing one, then you are ready to move the pages.

If you are able to move the pages, move half the pages into one file, and the other half into a second file. Save both files with new names. This is a divide and conquer search technique to see if we can isolate a problem page. With each half document, see if you are able to add or delete a page. Hopefully the answer will be yes for at least one half. If it's yes for both, move the pages from one of the new docs into the other to recombine them (you may have broken a text thread when moving the pages, so check for that at the point where the two were originally separated), save As with a new name and you should be good to go.

If only one half is working, repeat the exercise with the bad half, moving halves to two more new files. Continue to do this until you are down to a single page from the old file, then remove half the text (or illustrations) and try the test again. You should be able to isolate a problem very quickly this way -- about 8 steps to get a 360 page book to down to one page.

If NEITHER half doc works, it might be a corrupt style (and that may be the problem even if one of the half-docs is OK if that style is rarely used and doesn't get imported). When you move pages to a new doc, the styles will travel with them unless there are same-named styles already there. If you suspect a bad style, you should make a new blank doc, then define, not load, duplicate styles for all of the styles in the problem file, before moving the pages. This may be a lot of work, so an easier alternative might be to place your cursor in each story, then export that story to InDesign Tagged Text (If you ask over iin scripting, someone may have a script to export all the stories at once). You can then place the tagged text into a brand new file and see if that works.

Keep us posted.

• 6. Re: Problem with CS5 crashing when inserting or deleting page
                    Wilderness08 Level 1

Thank you for the reply, Peter:

You mentioned this was a CS2 file originally. What was the last version

I don't recall the version, but I upgraded to CS5 around August, 2010, so whatever the current update of CS2 was at that time.

how much editing has beeen done in CS5

A significant degree, possibly around 15% of the text has been changed (no master page or style deletions or additions; no additional graphics/illustrations imported).

As a security measure, I periodically save editing versions. When I go to edit the file after some time has passed, I typically save it  under a new name. I went back several versions and found that my February, 2012 file does not appear to have the problem. I only spot checked every 75 pages or so, but can add or delete single pages every place I checked including the known page locations that have problems in my current version. What do you suggest?

• 7. Re: Problem with CS5 crashing when inserting or deleting page
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I was just thinking some about this, so I'm glad you popped up again.

Seems to me you have two choices, go back to the earlier version that is working and re-do a lot of editing, or try to fix the latest. If you want to go back, open the old file and check the file history bey holding down the Ctrl key while you choose About InDesign from the Help menu. You'll see the complete save history in the lower left of the dialog. I would check for the last version it was saved in, then open the file in that version and export to .inx (in CS4 or earlier) or .idml for CS5 or later, then open the .idml in CS5 and save as a new .indd and proceed.

On the existing file you can do the divide and conquer stuff, but as I said, I was thinking more, and in your shoes I'd probably skip that as the first step and try exporting to tagged text for each story, then build a new doc by placing the tagged text. If that seems to be OK, place the images again and move forward.

Either way, I think you have some heavy lifting.