6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2012 8:00 PM by UlfLaursen

Just a few questions from a beginner

Storm Born

Hi everyone,

I'm sure you've all seen this question plenty of times before, but I'm looking at getting into video editing and VFX etc and uploading videos to YouTube. I'm planning to get the Panasonic HC-X900 HD Camcorder to film with and the Creative Suit 6 Production Premium Suite for students to edit with.

I currently have the 21.5" 3.2 GHz Core i3 which has 4GB RAM - I'm planning on upgrading the amount of RAM. I'm currently running the trial and it seems to be running okay, although I haven't put it through its paces.

However, the question I have is that the Panasonic camcorder uses the AVCHD format. From what I understand, Premiere Pro CS6 accepts this format, but I keep reading about people having to convert the format to work with it, particularly if they are using some form of a Mac. I don't know if the information I'm reading is slightly outdated, or if I will have to use a converter to edit the footage? Trying to learn about all of this stuff is pretty daunting for a beginner, and I don't want to go and purchase these things to find out I've made a mistake! I may just be confusing myself by reading too much.

If it is the case that I will have to convert the format, what software would people recommend? I don't mind paying if I have to for a good converter.

Thanks for the help