2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2012 1:17 AM by George_Johnson

Acrobat 6.0 validation scripts

sjonley

Hi

I am new to scripting and need a little help with validating scripts.

I use Acrobat Ver 6.0 to create simple editable pdf's.

Some of the fields I want to set the validation such that they conform to the following:

1. Standard text field are set to capitalise
      2. Postcode field to convert all letters to capitals

On a seperate point, can someone point me in the direction of having an email button?

When i have tried submit buttons in the past and saved the pdf; when opened again in pdf reader the security settings prevent the document being edited.

• 1. Re: Acrobat 6.0 validation scripts
          gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

One can use the 'toUpperCase" string method to set a string to all capital letters.

You need to have your form working before applying Extended Reader Rights or setting the form up for distribution. I would reccommend that you keep a copy without Extended Reader Rights or a for for distribution.

• 2. Re: Acrobat 6.0 validation scripts
            George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The custom validate script would look something like:

// Custom validate script

event.value = event.value.toUpperCase();

If you want to captialize as the user enters the text, you can use use the Keystroke event, but the script would be different.

Note that Acrobat 6 cannot Reader-enable a document so that it can be saved, but it should still be fillable in Reader if it's not. Acrobat 8 was the first version that allow Reader-enabling. If you set up the submit form action so that only the form data is included, as opposed to the entire PDF, it does not need to be Reader-enabled.