1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 9, 2012 1:54 PM by Joel Cherney

Looking for a great way to search for a string throughout a large number of InDesign files.

KuddRoww Level 1

I'm trying to find a great way to search for a string throughout a large number of InDesign files, 7500, across many directories without having to open each individual file.

For Microsoft Word files I can use a standard search and it will search in the word documents themselves without having to open each individual file. The search seems to be very quick and the results are pretty precise.

The closest I've come is converting to an IDML file and searching for a string with Oxygen. However I'd prefer something a little more direct and a lot quicker.

Is there a tool with similar functionality for InDesign?

• 1. Re: Looking for a great way to search for a string throughout a large number of InDesign files.
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't remember if Bridge can do this or not. I don't know if it will work for you - you said specifically that you didn't want to open up 7500 files - but when I needed to search 3000 different ID files scattered across a network drive, I:

1) Ran a search in Explorer for INDDs

2) Dropped all of the results of that search into ID

3) Used the Find/Change dialog to search in "all documents."

My machine ran like it was in a mudbath for a while, but I did find the mystery phrase.

Markzware has a Mac-only tool called PageZephyr that sounds like it does what you want.

1 person found this helpful